Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Collections.....Time from Consignment Received to Sale?

Wondered what your experience was lately selling thru Great Collections.....noticed selling within 21 days is no longer on their website.... they have coins since Feb still have not made pending....they must be swamped....have sold coins last year listed within a few weeks!

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, Id say on average GC has the coin for a total of about 6 weeks after they receive it, and tack on another 4 weeks to payment.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    In my experience, Id say on average GC has the coin for a total of about 6 weeks after they receive it, and tack on another 4 weeks to payment.

That's my experience.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭

I have coins that have been in for grading for over 3 months with no activity showing. Not sure how long it takes to send them out for grading and then come back to be auctioned. Not an issue, but I'm curious too. Last few emails I have sent to them have gone unanswered so they are probably swamped.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

That sounds about right unless CAC is running slow stickering, seems they like to CAC what I send them. But most get stickered so it probably pays off for the extra wait.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Historically, it's been about 6 weeks. My most recent consignment was closer to 4 months.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

My thought is if they are so busy possibly have a 2nd night of auctions....noticed David Lawrence coin auctions just added thursday nights in addition to its regular sunday night auction....Great collections can only sell so many coins in the time slot they use.....ebay is hit or miss and at 13.25% selling fee feel i can recoup a little more at great collections....hope to see a hot coin market again like we experienced in the 80's!!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would concur with things getting just a bit slower. Perhaps just sooooo busy, but still far better than any other major auction site (not counting eBay, which is more a BIN site). My first consignment or two in the last year were 28 days from arrival at GC to check in my hands. The last was an uncharacteristic 3 week wait to get them up for auction. Still . . . great site, good intuitive interaction, and relatively fast overall.

Drunner

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2024 6:35AM

@Klif50 said:
    Last few emails I have sent to them have gone unanswered so they are probably swamped.

Very surprised to read this post. Every email I’ve ever sent to Raeleen or Ian has been answered promptly and I’m a very small fish (pardon the pun).

Tim Herring

Edited for grammar

• Options

Actually the last 3 times I've prepared shipments I have sent an email using their "contact us" link asking questions and have yet to receive an answer. I have also called asking the status of my email questions and got a short response that someone would call me back within a day or two. That was 3 months ago and I've yet to get a call. But this really isn't an issue. My first 3 shipments were posted for auction fairly quickly, sold for more than I expected and I was paid quickly. One earlier shipment that required grading has been there close to 4 months and the shipment is listed as consignment received but no update on the grading process. The last two shipments were some complete sets in albums and a fairly large number of US mint items in original packaging because of their article asking to send them in for grading and sale.

I know I am a very small account and have only been sending coins to them for 5 or 6 years. I have the patience to wait as they have always done right by me and my coins. It's a busy time in the life of dealers and auction houses and I can patiently stand in line (23 years in the Air Force taught me how to stand in line and don't bother the folks in charge).

Cliff

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

I seem to have no response issue from them as well... I wanted to consign my complete run of ASE's in PCGS First Strike holders and no one responded to 2 emails sent via their contact us e-mail...

Oh well...

• Options

@Samets said:
    I seem to have no response issue from them as well... I wanted to consign my complete run of ASE's in PCGS First Strike holders and no one responded to 2 emails sent via their contact us e-mail...

Oh well...

I firmly believe if you print out the shipping list and pack it all up and ship it on to them that you'll be quite pleased with the results. I am sure their email box is melting down and they are busy processing incoming shipments and don't have the time or manpower to pay attention to the emails.

They will treat you right and since your coins are already slabbed you should be seeing your money within 5 or 6 weeks (my best guess and certainly not a guarantee from them)

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:

@Samets said:

Oh well...

I firmly believe if you print out the shipping list and pack it all up and ship it on to them that you'll be quite pleased with the results. I am sure their email box is melting down and they are busy processing incoming shipments and don't have the time or manpower to pay attention to the emails.

They will treat you right and since your coins are already slabbed you should be seeing your money within 5 or 6 weeks (my best guess and certainly not a guarantee from them)

That's what I always do and have no complaints. I have not sent raw coins so have not had to endure the wait for grading, only stickering.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:

@Klif50 said:

@Samets said:

Oh well...

That's what I always do and have no complaints. I have not sent raw coins so have not had to endure the wait for grading, only stickering.

Probably they are able to get coins graded at PCGS faster and less expensive than most of us, so that's an added advantage.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really happy with the job they do. This is a list of things I have found that slow things down.

If there is a major show, many of the key people are out of the office.
    If the coins are going to PCGS.
    If PCGS is doing variety attribution. This has been really slow for me.
    If they send the coins on to NGC. That's two trips across the US.
    If they send the coins to CAC for a sticker. For me that seems to take a couple of weeks.
    I may be wrong but keeping up with quality images has to be tough.
    Sometimes they may hold back a listing so your coin will not compete with a different listing.

Larry

• Options
    MojaveGhostMojaveGhost Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

My most recent consignment was received on May 6 and the auction will end on June 2nd. Graded coins seem to list really fast for me. Raw coins take months, which I expected going in.

• Options

Follow Up...all my coins now listed for sale today...some went from consignments received straight to sale listing along with all pending.....i feel i get the best $$$$ at Great Collections.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file