Home U.S. Coin Forum

EBay is so tedious and overpriced that I'm testing an alternative

2»

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FranklinHalfAddict said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I would not generally compare ebay and GC or Heritage because they aren't in the same space. I actually wouldn't compare ebay to usacoinbook either as the latter gives you none of the services that ebay provides. But the OP raised the issue of cost and ebay remains the best bargain across all of these spaces for what it provides. If @ctf_error_coins hasn't gotten himself banned, I'm sure he'd agree.

Wait, what?
    What happened?

He got banned a few months ago for a political rant.

If he say sorry and promise not to do it again can he get his membership back?

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I would not generally compare ebay and GC or Heritage because they aren't in the same space. I actually wouldn't compare ebay to usacoinbook either as the latter gives you none of the services that ebay provides. But the OP raised the issue of cost and ebay remains the best bargain across all of these spaces for what it provides. If @ctf_error_coins hasn't gotten himself banned, I'm sure he'd agree.

Wait, what?
    What happened?

I would imagine, but don't know if it is the case all the time or even in this instance, that if a longtime member gets banned that they are likely warned multiple times by moderators about their behavior prior to the banning. If that is the case then registering again most likely would not solve the underlying issue(s).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@jt88 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Wait, what?
    What happened?

I would imagine, but don't know if it is the case all the time or even in this instance, that if a longtime member gets banned that they are likely warned multiple times by moderators about their behavior prior to the banning. If that is the case then registering again most likely would not solve the underlying issue(s).

Chris doesn't strike me as the type to be willing to apologize.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 8:14PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I sold a Saint gaudens for $2436. After fees I got $2200. Spot was $2450. I paid the or
    iginal seller $2376. Looks like I'm needing to pay $400 under spot to be able to resell on eBay for a profit. That would never get tedious.

Which is why they should only be sold as bullion in a store (4% fees) or wholesale to a dealer. There's only $100 bid/ask spread on Saints. PayPal fees + postage are almost that. Not everythong should be sold on ebay.

This is why I setup at shows. Sold a super PQ 1927 $20 PCGS 64 for $2795 at recent show had picked up at $2300. Super margin - More than Paid my table fee / yay! Do you have anything slabbed like that around BV? Get outta here- $100 margin on Saints Rolf - would tell that tirekicker get lost b4 my assistant levels him.

Coins & Currency
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TomB said:

@jt88 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Wait, what?
    What happened?

Chris doesn't strike me as the type to be willing to apologize.

I would bet he doesn't think he's ever posted anything which might necessitate an apology. (As I recall, he went on a nonstop anti-PCGS diatribe prior to banning, but otherwise was just mostly really stubborn on occasion)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I sold a Saint gaudens for $2436. After fees I got $2200. Spot was $2450. I paid the or
    iginal seller $2376. Looks like I'm needing to pay $400 under spot to be able to resell on eBay for a profit. That would never get tedious.

Which is why they should only be sold as bullion in a store (4% fees) or wholesale to a dealer. There's only $100 bid/ask spread on Saints. PayPal fees + postage are almost that. Not everythong should be sold on ebay.

I never tried selling a thong on eBay.

HE>I

• UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 93 ✭✭

I quit Ebay 2 years ago when they froze my auction sales funds, because they wanted me to supply my S.S. number, so they could report my sales to the IRS (thanks Biden!). I had been selling there since 2000. Good riddance!

Glad the www.USAcoinbook.com worked well for you. I listed a couple of slabbed Roosevelts there but got no bites. Wrong category, I guess. I will try something else next time.

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Wait, what?
    What happened?

Yes although some just come back as an alternate identity.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file