Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need assistance - anyone have the Edmund Kopicki rarity scale?

I am looking for Edmun Kopicki’s rarity scale that he used. If anyone has it, I would appreciate them sending me an image of it.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just FYI  - A post from July 2005 does mention the scale may be off a little based on what is known today 

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/4265911#Comment_4265911

"The treatise - at least the four-volume version in my library - was published in 1995, so the prices and even some of the rarity description (R5, R4, etc.) are out of date and not consistent with more recent knowledge. For example, Kopicki lists some of the Danzig 1920s proofs are R8s (2 or 3 specimens known), which is definitely not the case."

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    Just FYI  - A post from July 2005 does mention the scale may be off a little based on what is known today 

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/4265911#Comment_4265911

"The treatise - at least the four-volume version in my library - was published in 1995, so the prices and even some of the rarity description (R5, R4, etc.) are out of date and not consistent with more recent knowledge. For example, Kopicki lists some of the Danzig 1920s proofs are R8s (2 or 3 specimens known), which is definitely not the case."

Thank you for the information. I saw that thread, but Kopicki is still routinely used by many even though some of his research is dated and found to be inaccurate in some instances. V. Bitkin is another often used, but probably falls into that same dilemma. Are there better sources out there for early to mid-nineteenth century Polish coins?

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

How universal is this scale? What is the best universal rarity scale?