Home U.S. Coin Forum

1926 MS64 and MS64+ $10.00 coins,,,,,,,,

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

........ do any of them not have a significant amount of dings, marks and gouges?

Also, same question for MS65 and MS65+ example?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images of what you consider "significant" will be key.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

"1926 MS64 and MS64+ $10.00 coins,,,,,,,,..... do any of them not have a significant amount of dings, marks and gouges?

Also, same question for MS65 and MS65+ example?"

As phrased, your questions can only lead to an answer of "Yes" ;) . But what matters is how many/what percentage of the available examples qualify for that "Yes". And that largely depends upon what you mean by "a significant amount of dings, marks and gouges. That's why @TomB posted that images will be "key".

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    "1926 MS64 and MS64+ $10.00 coins,,,,,,,,..... do any of them not have a significant amount of dings, marks and gouges?

As phrased, your questions can only lead to an answer of "Yes" ;) . But what matters is how many/what percentage of the available examples qualify for that "Yes". And that largely depends upon what you mean by "a significant amount of dings, marks and gouges. That's why @TomB posted that images will be "key".

They shouldn't have a lot of "gouges"

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

They shouldn't have a lot of "gouges"

What one person calls a “gouge” another might call something else, or vice versa. That’s why pictures might help considerably.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I do not have a photograph of the 1926 $10.00 MS64+ Indian I looked at yesterday.

I have long thought that the $10.00 Indian gold coin is one of the most beautiful of US Coins. I am looking to add one of those coins to my collection. 1926 is the date I would like to acquire because my father was born that year (having a 1926 birthyear set for my dad would be great).

The example I saw yesterday has positive eye appeal. I looked at it in hand without loupe and I liked what I saw. I then looked at it with a 10x loupe and noticed flaws on both sides of the coin. Each side has what I called "gouges" in my OP. I do not have a precise definition of gouge, but I view that term as one that is a mark on a coin that is wider and deeper than a scratch. Part of me does not like these flaws. Another part of me says that I need to educate myself about what I can and should expect in looking for a 1926 $10.00 Indian to purchase.

After reading the replies posted to this thread I looked at Coin Facts photos of MS64, MS64+, MS65, MS65+, MS66 and MS66+ examples of 1926 $10.00 Indians. It appears that for this coin it is common to have sizeable flaws (whether a scratch, ding, gouge or other term is used to describe the flaw) present on both sides of the coin in this grade range.

A large part of my collecting has been of proof coins (which typically have fewer flaws than MS coins do that are graded 63 and above; or flaws that are not as large as they are on MS coins). In viewing MS coinage and evaluating same I need to shift my thought process towards circulation strike coinage instead of proof coinage.

In any event, the 1926 $10.00 Indian I viewed yesterday has two or three such flaws on each side of the coin (on the fields and on the devices). Fewer than appear on some of the Coin Facts coins that have graded MS65 and higher.

If you have any other insight or comments on MS 1926 $10.00 Indians they are welcomed.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2024 3:19PM

My thought....gold is soft....dings easy.

But there are lots out there. So, take your time and find one that has the appeal you are looking for.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, You should be able to find a really nice one for the grade since it's not a very expensive coin in that grade
    Keep searching, it's out there
    Good luck, I'll keep my eyes open

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

All in the eye of the individual. I have a 1909 that is "only" PCGS63 but has wonderful lustre with nice orange peel surfaces with very little friction - I absolutely love this coin beyond some of the 64s I have seen and the few scattered marks are not in key positions.
    I think if you are picky and keep looking that you may find a very nice coin, if not perfect, that you will be happy with & I think that is one of the enjoyable aspects of collecting when you have to look. I suppose you could plunk the money down for an over "conserved" technically nice specimen but you might not have to.
    Good luck on that. Keep us posted if you will as to your eventual purchase.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file