Home U.S. Coin Forum

The norse medal has a lot going for it in terms of design, both sides.

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

And dated 1000 as well, 🤪.

LCoopie = Les

Comments

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭

Always liked them and have owned several— not as nice as that one though.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie BEAUTIFUL example!! I too love the design. I have a thick and a thin example.

A friend of mine has been involved with a group that has been trying to get the Mint to strike a Norse American Bicentennial Medal for 2025. So far no luck and they've gone as far as they can go.

@DCarr This subject is wide open for you.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    This looks like a good place to repost my theory that the Thick Norse medals were punched out of silver dollar planchet stock and the thin ones from silver commemorative half dollar stock, there having been no regular issue half dollar stock in the Mint in 1925.
    I think I could prove it if I had some raw ones to measure and weigh and calculate the thickness of them.

This is interesting but wouldn't looking at the isotope signature of the silver in each provide conclusive evidence?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine’s thick.

LCoopie = Les
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice example of one of my favorite classic commems! Thanks for posting...made my day!

K

ANA LM
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me think of the ethnic influences, lobbying and politics surrounding this historical piece.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 6:58AM

@sellitstore said:

@CaptHenway said:
    This looks like a good place to repost my theory that the Thick Norse medals were punched out of silver dollar planchet stock and the thin ones from silver commemorative half dollar stock, there having been no regular issue half dollar stock in the Mint in 1925.
    I think I could prove it if I had some raw ones to measure and weigh and calculate the thickness of them.

This is interesting but wouldn't looking at the isotope signature of the silver in each provide conclusive evidence?

Unlikely unless the silver source was unique and different.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 8:34AM

@CaptHenway said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but wouldn’t “silver commemorative half dollar stock” and “regular issue half dollar stock” be identical?

And if so, why differentiate?

@Namvet69 said:
    Makes me think of the ethnic influences, lobbying and politics surrounding this historical piece.

Also the Vikings series and Ragnar.

LCoopie = Les
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always liked these, but I’m dead set against adding medals to my collection. I never understood why they are so often considered part of the early commem series?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@CaptHenway said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but wouldn’t “silver commemorative half dollar stock” and “regular issue half dollar stock” be identical?

And if so, why differentiate?

It is indeed the same stock. I only mention the commemorative stock because one time when I mentioned this theory somebody responded "but Philadelphia did not issue any half dollars in 1925." Philadelphia did not issue any Walking Liberty half dollars in 1925, or 1922-1933 for that matter, but it did make commemoratives in 1925.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I’ve always liked these, but I’m dead set against adding medals to my collection. I never understood why they are so often considered part of the early commem series?

Because none of them circulate? Because the intrinsic value of both would be the same? Because it should have been a half dollar?

Regardless, why would you punish yourself by refusing to add an item you like?

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both the thick and thin versions in my type set.
    I like them, that's all that matters. To me, anyway!

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the gold ones. Only 42 of them

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re beautiful, but I’d buy actual Viking coins before a 20th century medal.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:
    They’re beautiful, but I’d buy actual Viking coins before a 20th century medal.

No law against buying both

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Took a quick check on Coinfacts, and didn't see anything about this - Is there any documented reasons why there are thick and thin, or did it "just happen"? I would guess that some reason was given to strike the gold ones, or perhaps thats self evidently for presentation purposes.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle said:
    Took a quick check on Coinfacts, and didn't see anything about this - Is there any documented reasons why there are thick and thin, or did it "just happen"? I would guess that some reason was given to strike the gold ones, or perhaps thats self evidently for presentation purposes.

This is not a coin so I would not expect to see it discussed on PCGS Coin Facts. I imagine they were sold at a profit to support some event and striking them in varied thicknesses and in gold was done to create different varieties to increase sales to collectors and thus to increase profits to the issuing authority.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@AngryTurtle said:

This is not a coin so I would not expect to see it discussed on PCGS Coin Facts. I imagine they were sold at a profit to support some event and striking them in varied thicknesses and in gold was done to create different varieties to increase sales to collectors and thus to increase profits to the issuing authority.

1. It is classed with the commems and is in Coinfacts.
    2. There's actually no definitive history on how all the varieties came to be.

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@AngryTurtle said:

I couldn't find it in Coin Facts under Silver Commemorative Coins (1892-1954). Where did you see it?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

LCoopie = Les

Thanks.

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@AngryTurtle said:

I couldn't find it in Coin Facts under Silver Commemorative Coins (1892-1954). Where did you see it?

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/commemoratives/norse-medal-0/790

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the occasional post about consideration of new coin designs is disheartening when comparing to GOOD design. :'(

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avery beautiful design! And as mentioned, the GOLD ones are to die for

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@MWallace said:
    @lcoopie BEAUTIFUL example!! I too love the design. I have a thick and a thin example.

A friend of mine has been involved with a group that has been trying to get the Mint to strike a Norse American Bicentennial Medal for 2025. So far no luck and they've gone as far as they can go.

@DCarr This subject is wide open for you.

I did do these already (struck on Walking Liberty Half Dollars):

Yes, and those are awesome. I have one. Now we need a whole new design for the bicentennial next year.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is a beautiful design. I have a thick and thin as well. Was not aware of the gold issue. Wish I had one of those.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

It never worked well in vending machines.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file