Home U.S. Coin Forum

Us $1 coin

I have a 1971 US Dwight Eisenhower $1 coin that is missing the L and the I in Liberty I was wondering if anybody would have knowledge of the value in that thank you

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need pics.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

Clear images would go a long way toward helping you. If possible, a well-cropped pair of shots of the entire obverse and entire reverse in focus would do as well as an image of the particular area you are asking about.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason everyone is saying "we need to see pics" is that there are several possible reasons for letters to be "missing", and we can't tell which possibility it might be without seeing it.

"Grease-filled dies" is one option, which would be a very minor variety, but possibly worth a few dollars above face value.

"Someone with a dremel filed the letters away" is another option, in which case the coin is "damaged" and of no collector interest, meaning it's only worth face value.

"Value" also depends on condition, for which we would need to see pictures of your coin.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Do you want to start a collection?

• roxyroxy Posts: 5

LOL I am trying to figure out how to post a picture all I managed to do was put my own picture up LOL but I'm working on it thank you

I hope these pictures are adequate if not please let me know

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what is called "struck through grease", where grease filled the incused design (the L and I of LIBERTY) on the die. The result is noticeable but really does not add much of a premium to your coin. Nice example though.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greaser. Extends into parts of the IN as well.

Thank you

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example of a struck thru grease.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has value, you can determine that by searching eBay and filtering sold items to see if anyone is buying nice examples of grease strikes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file