Home Precious Metals
Options

Another Head Fake OR It’s Rightful Place as a Strategic Metal

Mike59Mike59 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Well we have been here before but I think this time it’s different. This is Google description of Strategic metals. Those metals that are used in important industries such as aerospace, mobile technology, telecommunication, national defense, etc and I’ll also add green technologies and Money. I’ve also read that it takes 500 ounces of silver to make 1 missile and just about every country is making those. I think it’s time for government's start labeling silver honestly. Thoughts?
Mike

MIKE B.

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't say that you are wrong.... but 500 ounces sounds rather unrealistic. Did some searches and yes, there are mentions of that amount but most sources are youtube videos, and 'a friend of a friend who worked on missiles' etc. So I am not convinced. what would the silver be used for, other than circuit boards, connectors, etc. Over 15 pounds?? Sounds like an urban legend to me. Certainly there is some silver used, but I'm just questioning that figure given.

----- kj
  • Options

But more to your point... do I think silver is a strategic metal. Yes.

----- kj
  • Options

Lol, i thought of that when i posted this BUT silvers not in the gutter anymore. Its has many strategic uses and the common man’s gold.

MIKE B.

• Options

Shine on you crazy silver!

----- kj
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I know what Blitzdude will say. :D

The metal of kings is yet again flirting with historic all time highs, the gutter metal is merely halfway there, lets not even factor in inflation. LOL. I wish people could see the inside of a cruise missile because they would quickly see it contains about the same .0000001 ozt of silver as their Chinese iPhones. There's mountains of the crap available everywhere. Cripes go to Goodwill, you will find it for .50 cents an ounce in virtually every Goodwill in America. Cars, rickards, organ etc. will all try to convince you otherwise. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    I won't say that you are wrong.... but 500 ounces sounds rather unrealistic. Did some searches and yes, there are mentions of that amount but most sources are youtube videos, and 'a friend of a friend who worked on missiles' etc. So I am not convinced. what would the silver be used for, other than circuit boards, connectors, etc. Over 15 pounds?? Sounds like an urban legend to me. Certainly there is some silver used, but I'm just questioning that figure given.

Wiring.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 6:08AM

Could It BE tined aluminum, billed to us as silver...much like silver solder :o

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 6:51AM

Good thinking , rte592. It's bad actors on both sides making shrapnel out of perfectly fine textile goods.

• Options

@rte592 said:
    Could It BE tined aluminum, billed to us as silver...much like silver solder :o

That's top secret... can't tell!

Who knows? I certainly don't.

----- kj
  • Options

From what I’ve read and heard about silver being used in weapons is the bulk of its use is in Silver Zinc batteries, guidance systems and electronics. I’ve never actually seen any of these weapons. This is from a Kitco interview. The actual discussion starts at about 4 minutes 23 seconds. Either way I invest in both Gold and Silver but I’d love to watch silver do what I’ve believed it could do for years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5FdgwgndM

MIKE B.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could It BE tined aluminum, billed to us as silver...much like silver solder

I don't think that tinned aluminum would function as well in missile circuitry as silver. I do remember a similar discussion about silver being used in cruise missiles, back in 1979. I do believe that the amount was in the hundreds of ounces per missile.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Could It BE tined aluminum, billed to us as silver...much like silver solder

I don't think that tinned aluminum would function as well in missile circuitry as silver. I do remember a similar discussion about silver being used in cruise missiles, back in 1979. I do believe that the amount was in the hundreds of ounces per missile.

Maybe someone could mine cruise missile impact sites ?

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 11:16PM

Take a look at the USGS list of critical minerals. Silver isn't on the list, neither is gold. In order to make that list there is probably some constraints on the US strategically acquiring those metals/minerals. It's like wildlife, some things are endangered, but some are of the least concern. Gold and silver are of the least concern. There may be a squeeze at some point (like copper right now) but there is plenty silver and gold, and neither is critical to national security, and thus they aren't strategic. On the other hand and to put things into perspective - Pt, Pd, Rh, Ir... all critical.

• Options

Pt, Pd, Rh, Ir... all critical.

Yup.

Gold and silver are of the least concern. There may be a squeeze at some point (like copper right now) but there is plenty silver and gold, and neither is critical to national security, and thus they aren't strategic. On the other hand and to put things into perspective -

I would agree to some extent however, silver will become more critical and is being viewed as such because of rising demand in solar applications. Gold may become critical in terms of the need for am international trade unit. I think that the jury is still out on silver and gold vis a vis becoming a strategic resource.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Head fake with a pump for a 150-1 GSR

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

It sounds highly implausible to me as well.

However it's possible that it is used as a catalyst in the propellent or even the explosive.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

How's this for a quick search?

Key Takeaways
    Hydrogen peroxide can act as a powerful rocket propellant when concentrated to around 90 percent, significantly higher than the 3 percent concentration typically found in drug stores.
    Silver catalyzes the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, releasing oxygen and generating heat, which turns water into steam that can be expelled at high speeds through a rocket nozzle.
    Compared to traditional rocket engines that require a fuel and an oxidizer, a hydrogen peroxide and silver engine is cooler, safer and easier to throttle.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

I bet they aren't going to recover any of this silver or much from their targets.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Silver is far and away the most remarkable of known elements.

It's like Star Treks "Omega particle" in real life.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

My silver gutters will last for decades, and they are even anti-bacterial, so you can drink the rainwater. Metal of Queens. :D

• Options

Drink away. RGDS!

• Options

The metal of solar panels. And getting scarcer all the time. This may be your last opportunity to get some of the real stuff in a realistic price range, blitz. Don't say that I didn't tell you. >:)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    The metal of solar panels. And getting scarcer all the time. This may be your last opportunity to get some of the real stuff in a realistic price range, blitz. Don't say that I didn't tell you. >:)

Billions and billions of ounces of above ground gutter metal. It's about as scarce as a McPuke cheeseburger and I've got more than I could possibly ever need. RGDS!

• Options

Billions and billions of ounces of above ground gutter metal. It's about as scarce as a McPuke cheeseburger

I believe that there's the possibility that you are misinformed.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Billions and billions of ounces of above ground gutter metal. It's about as scarce as a McPuke cheeseburger

I believe that there's the possibility that you are misinformed.

Likewise. THKS!

• Options

It has to be strategic. On a personal note, and I told this story several times to buyers....
    when the pandemic hit and the government was giving free checks, my wife opted into silver bars. 3 100 oz bars cost her $3600. She kept that in a savings acct for vacation . We all witnessed the dreaded time. I could not get $20 for a silver eagle on 2020. A year or so later she sold them for $5100. Last year in November she wanted them back. Cost : $6600..... and she replaced them. Had she left the $3600 in the bank for the last 4 years, it would be $3600. To buy one bar today is $3200 +. Strategic., despite blitzdude's wicked humor.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    It has to be strategic. On a personal note, and I told this story several times to buyers....
    when the pandemic hit and the government was giving free checks, my wife opted into silver bars. 3 100 oz bars cost her $3600. She kept that in a savings acct for vacation . We all witnessed the dreaded time. I could not get $20 for a silver eagle on 2020. A year or so later she sold them for $5100. Last year in November she wanted them back. Cost : $6600..... and she replaced them. Had she left the $3600 in the bank for the last 4 years, it would be $3600. To buy one bar today is $3200 +. Strategic., despite blitzdude's wicked humor.

She would have been much better off buying NVDA or even the SLV. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Ah yes.... hindsight is always..... 100%. Predicting the future is not quite so easy.

Wonder how that fella feels who bought that pizza years ago with bitcoin, and thought he did good. And I am reminded of a friend, who wanted to buy several hundred bitcoin.... when it was around $5 per coin. It had shot up to $14 or so, and he was very sad because he believed he had missed his chance. I don't think he bought any at that price.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Ah yes.... hindsight is always..... 100%. Predicting the future is not quite so easy.

Apples to apples, just like someone cherry picking dates to show us what a great investment gutter metal could of been. How would those 100 oz gutter bars done if they were bought 4 1/2 decades ago? THKS!

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 2:23AM
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@tincup said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Apples to apples, just like someone cherry picking dates to show us what a great investment gutter metal could of been. How would those 100 oz gutter bars done if they were bought 4 1/2 decades ago? THKS!

You complain about someone else "cherry-picking" data points, and then you go and do exactly that yourself, in the same post !

Well yeah, not surprisingly you missed the point. THKS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@tincup said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

You complain about someone else "cherry-picking" data points, and then you go and do exactly that yourself, in the same post !

And to the subject...... my wife is better off with me than NVDA or SLV. Your point missed the target, unless it's to insult or disparage. I'd call you "dead eye dick",at the range .

• Options
    edited May 30, 2024 6:46PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@tincup said:

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

And to the subject...... my wife is better off with me than NVDA or SLV. Your point missed the target, unless it's to insult or disparage. I'd call you "dead eye dick",at the range .

I live in the real world brother. Gutter metal is far from "precious" and it's an absolute horrible investment. Perhaps you'd just be known as 0'fer down on my range......or better yet "Maggie's drawers". You're the one that brought your wife into it. Glad to hear that her stimmys helped her keep up with inflation. Stupid me bought a log splitter and a zero turn with ours. God Bless Uncle Marvin. :sunglasses: THKS!

• Options

I rest my case and made my point. Insult and disparage.... and off the subject, Mr zero turn.