Home U.S. Coin Forum

Affordable and Interesting

NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here and ATS, I am consistently blown away by the caliber of the coins posted. The numismatic eyegasm is a wonderful, and often expensive pursuit that seems to get more expensive as we go. However, I love when I can find something affordable and interesting. When that coin is relatively attractive, problem-free and scarce - even better. When the coin is squarely in my wheelhouse - I cannot resist it.

Today, one checked all those boxes... This is an 1855 Half Cent with a Rim Clip in PCGS50. This is not a very high grade for the most common coin in the Braided Hair HC series, but the clip made it interesting and a fun novelty piece to add interest to my half cent collection. (Just goes to show that they don't have to be expensive "Top Pops" to be cool!)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, Neo.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with that, right @seanq?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, and a nice genuine Mint error as well. Nothing at all wrong with that acquisition.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks gents. The coin was about the cost of a sushi dinner for the family, so it was a no brainer. Hot dogs it is!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• That is a great coin with an interesting clip. I love the braided hair coinage. Nice pickup!

Ryan Wood

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Coin has a nice chocolate look to it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the half cent holder list the clip on the label?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RVWCoins said:
    That is a great coin with an interesting clip. I love the braided hair coinage. Nice pickup!

Hey,
    "Welcome to the Forum!"
    Come and
    L-E-A-R-N.
    Plus,
    Have FUN.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Does the half cent holder list the clip on the label?

Yes. The label says "Rim Clip"

Unrelated - I wanted to welcome @RVWCoins to the forum! I also like Braided Hair coinage, and a date set of half cents was one of my earliest collecting goals. I cannot promote the business strike half cents enough. It's a short set that can be assembled relatively easily, but finding nicer pieces can be a challenge. Good luck, and feel free to PM me at any point on the series if you would like a few insights.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice score i like

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool 1/2 Cent! Nice chocolate brown example.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup. I love the color on it and a nice clip to boot.

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭

Nice example. What would a 1/2 cent buy in 1855?

@Glen2022 said:
    Nice example. What would a 1/2 cent buy in 1855?

At the time the half cent was decommissioned from currency (1857), it was worth 12-14c in today's money. So, in 1855... not too much. In the earliest days of production (1793-1809), I have read it could buy a sandwich.

@Walkerguy21D - This one did NOT have clip on the label.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:

Thanks Neo! Interesting that they put it on one label but not the other. Maybe it’s by request of the submitter?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@Walkerguy21D said:

@NeophyteNumismatist said:

Thanks Neo! Interesting that they put it on one label but not the other. Maybe it’s by request of the submitter?

Yeah, I think it's one of those pay extra things. Honestly, it's better if you DONT put them on the label. That way you can create a registry set. Mint errors are excluded ATS.

It's at this point that I start to think, "can I build a 3-pc type set (7070) with rim clips? All I need now is a classic head. :p

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like “eyegasm” almost as much as the coin (& I do like the coin!).

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file