Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare 1906 Gilt Pike's Peak HK-337 makes an appearance (Shevlin-Perry specimen)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 12, 2024 8:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Zebulon Montgomery Pike Southwest Expedition So-Called Dollar is one of the more interesting Colorado related pieces.

Here are photos of the rare Jeff Shevlin Specimen by Chad Robinson, so this can be the Shevlin-Robinson specimen.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 10:35PM

Doing a bit more research on this specific piece indicates it's from the Josiah Perry @JP_Coins collection. So it appears the pedigree is:

• Jeff Shevlin (inv), Josiah Perry (col), Chad Robinson (inv)

Great piece @JP_Coins and @SoCalledGuy!

Background: https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=381836

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW, it's marketing hype at maybe its worst and a bit of an ego thing, but we all collect differently.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I've said this before, but I wish Jeff Shevlin would stop putting his pedigree on all the slabs he sells. It's annoying. Most (if not all) of the medals are not from his collection, right? So why slab them with "Jeff Shevlin Collection" on the label? Seems a bit cheap to me, not to mention misleading.

I dislike it so much that I long ago decided IF I ever purchase one with "Jeff Shevlin Collection" on the label, I will pay to have it reholdered with the so-called pedigree taken off, but first I try to avoid buying one.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 7:32AM

I don't mind the pedigree that much given so little pedigree information that there is out there, so any little bit is of value for traceability at the moment. To me, it's a bit like the Nafzger and Hansen pedigrees. You need to know a bit about the pedigree when you research the pieces. Of note, I did get one piece of Jeff's in my collection reslabbed with my pedigree and his previous pedigree, so I do value it personally.

An interesting thing is that from talking to Jeff is that it seems like some of his rarest pieces are not slabbed yet. I wonder what will happen to them in the future?

Here's a list of So-Called Dollar pedigrees. It could be interesting to have a write up on each collector, kind of like Zerbe did for early Lesher Dollar collectors.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/951173/so-called-dollar-pedigrees

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anybody ever buys an Elder piece that they can match to a picture in my article they are welcome to contact me and ask if I used to own it, and if I did put "ex-DeLorey Collection" on the slab. I do have the original black and white photos used in the article somewhere, and I think everything I used was mine except of course for the background story art that the Editor dug up from the ANA archives.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @DCW, it's marketing hype at maybe its worst and a bit of an ego thing, but we all collect differently.

Ever since the Hibler-Kappen catalog was published in 1961, So-Called Dollars have been the classic commemoratives of the exonumia field. Today's market is no exception.

• Options

@Zoins Thanks for the post! It encouraged me to become a member of the forum. As far as I am aware, this is the third Gilt Pikes Peak Medal to come up for sale within the past year, all on eBay:

-September 2023, NGC MS-62, $2,600 (auction, sold)
    -December 2023, NGC MS-63, $2,175 (auction, sold)
    -March 2024, NGC AU-58, $3,000 (buy it now, currently unsold)

Although three have appeared recently, this is extraordinary considering the rarity of these medals. Currently, I believe there are about 14 known in private hands, and less than 20 known to exist overall.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the group!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@colo_wyo said:
    @Zoins Thanks for the post! It encouraged me to become a member of the forum.

Thats awesome! Thanks for joining us and we hope you stick around to bring fresh perspective. We dont have enough exonumia guys

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that the outstanding question is which variety Hibler & Charley Kappen cataloged as HK-337 - the bright finish or the matte finish? I speculate that they weren't aware of both otherwise they would have given them separate HK #'s as they did for the bright & matte finish silver medals.

• Options

@CaptHenway Thanks!

@DCW Exonumia is a great subset in the hobby! I primarily collect Colorado and Wyoming related stuff, but there are some exceptions.

@tokenpro There is a lot of mystery around the matte version! I have questioned that too, and I agree with you. Perhaps the gilt matte version deserves its own HK number. Hibler and Kappen’s catalog is monumental, but there was no way possible for them to catalog every piece within their boundaries. I believe there is an unlisted Imitation 1906 Pikes Peak medal eligible for its own HK number as well. There are a few other 1906 Pikes Peak imitation medals (these were made with loops and not eligible for an HK) which I collect too.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I've said this before, but I wish Jeff Shevlin would stop putting his pedigree on all the slabs he sells. It's annoying. Most (if not all) of the medals are not from his collection, right? So why slab them with "Jeff Shevlin Collection" on the label? Seems a bit cheap to me, not to mention misleading.

Free Advertising for Jeff, who is a heck of a nice guy....... unfortunately my customers agree with you and I usually have to resubmit them to sell them... we actually pay less on them when we buy to cover this cost....

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file