Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking to grade and sell 1969 baseball cards

I have a nice 1969 Jackson, Mantle and Ryan. I want to grade and sell them. I know PSA fetches higher prices, but will they grade my cards fairly? Who should I send them to?

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauties! You should send them to me 😎

Yep, PSA will fetch the most grade-for-grade. However, if you want a faster turn around, lower grading fee, but at a slightly lower return, then SCG is you best alternative.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Beauties! You should send them to me 😎

Yep, PSA will fetch the most grade-for-grade. However, if you want a faster turn around, lower grading fee, but at a slightly lower return, then SCG is you best alternative.

I know PSA will sell for more grade-for-grade, but people have mentioned that they are grading vintage cards lower recently. I don't mind waiting, I just want objective grades, not influenced by populations, quota's, or if the grader is subconsciously comparing to modern. Or will these stand out, and get good grades from PSA?

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Those cards are very nice. In the images I can see a few issues. Perhaps there is a shop in your area that does reviews? You might consider that. As PSA charges based on the grades most recent value it’s a risky endeavor to submit to them if you’re trying to maximize value.

They look like strong 7s or 8s based on a cursory review of the images. You’ll get better opinions on that than mine though.

Good luck.

• Options

@bgr said:
    Those cards are very nice. In the images I can see a few issues. Perhaps there is a shop in your area that does reviews? You might consider that. As PSA charges based on the grades most recent value it’s a risky endeavor to submit to them if you’re trying to maximize value.

They look like strong 7s or 8s based on a cursory review of the images. You’ll get better opinions on that than mine though.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking 7, hope for 8, and worst case 6. I just don't want a PSA 6, if it's objectively a 7 or possibly 8 from another reputable grading company.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pics are a bit blurry, but assuming no wrinkles you are likely looking at a 7, 6, 7.

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

They look real nice.... I'd say at least a 7 by PSA.
    Why rush ?
    Pay a little extra and get the premium $ that PSA commands. (maybe 20-30 %)
    Let us know how you make out.

• Options

I'm guessing 8-7-7 hehehehe

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with PSA, if they grade too harshly, you can try someone else.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The pics are a bit blurry, but assuming no wrinkles you are likely looking at a 7, 6, 7.

That’s my guess too. Centering on the Mantle will definitely ding it.

• Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

That Ryan and Jackson are pretty sweet. Good luck.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

From SGC I think you get an 8 on the Jackson and 7's on the mantle and ryan, without closer inspection. The jackson might get an 8.5, no lower than a 7.5.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 12:43PM

Any surface issues won't be seen in theses pics, all it takes is a slight dimple or 2 and you are looking at 5-6 for a grade. I think centering alone of Mickey gets it a 6, and down from there if there are any other issues. I would say send them in valued at 6s and hope that they call you to send them more $$ if the grades warrant it. $999 and under service for each, and hope that they call you looking for more $$.

Update: send them to SGC, 5-10 business days for $15 a card up to $1500 value. I used them for my 54 Bowman Willie Mays, Berra, and Campanella cards and they were spot on with the grades.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 psa 6 mantle's that may have a little worse centering left to right.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards. Get them PSA graded ASAP!

• Options

Thanks everyone, I sent them and a 68 Superstars card to PSA. I'll post the results and photos of them when I get them back.

• Options

If PSA grades them a 4, is it worth sending them to SGC or some other place for grading ?
    I may be wrong, but I think PSA's grading has been a little biased on older cards leaning towards lower grades... any one agree with me?

Anyone ever send a PSA card to some other reputable grading company and get it back a few grades higher .. just curious. ?

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Aside from well wishes to the OP, particularly on the Reggie RC, I'm wondering about the multi-colored dots in the name circle of the Ryan card. Is this a '69 Topps "Cupcake With Sprinkles" variation?

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Article published before PSA purchased SGC.

Op, those are nice cards and hope you do well. The pics make it difficult do give a good assessment but based on what I can see, they should get 6's or 7's. I just can't tell if there are a couple of soft corners.
    Either way, the centering is pretty good. Really nice on the Reggie. That alone should bring a premium.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@FredJRI said:
    If PSA grades them a 4, is it worth sending them to SGC or some other place for grading ?
    I may be wrong, but I think PSA's grading has been a little biased on older cards leaning towards lower grades... any one agree with me?

Anyone ever send a PSA card to some other reputable grading company and get it back a few grades higher .. just curious. ?

I guess I'll find out. I've heard that PSA was grading vintage more harshly, but I have also heard that SGC was historically tougher graders. If they come back anything less than 6, I'll send them to SGC.

• Options

Can you take them out the holder and resubmit io PSA ..chances of coming back graded the same???
    hummmmm

• Options

They are currently in the grading stage at PSA. Attached are PSA's clearer images without the card savers, but still sleeved. I am almost positive they have zero surface damage or wear. Am I still looking at 7's?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess Mantle 6, Ryan 7, Jackson 6. Hope I am wrong and you get better grades than that. Good luck.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I agree with Brad31. good luck also

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Those are all nice cards no matter the grade.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think that the jackson is a five or a six at best. the other two are grade six at best. great cards for a high grade raw set.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to accurately guesstimate from scans, too, as PSA pays close attention to surface issues now, also, which are not evident in scans.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Hard to accurately guesstimate from scans, too, as PSA pays close attention to surface issues now, also, which are not evident in scans.

I believe the surfaces are the best quality of all three. If they were graded based on surface damage/wear, they would all be 10's. These cards had minimal handling. Unfortunately they were stored as a set back to back in a binder, so the corners probably aren't as good as they could have been.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mookie1986 said:

@grote15 said:

I believe the surfaces are the best quality of all three. If they were graded based on surface damage/wear, they would all be 10's. These cards had minimal handling. Unfortunately they were stored as a set back to back in a binder, so the corners probably aren't as good as they could have been.

Not so much wear or damage but the occasional dimple or surface wrinkle can mean the difference between a 5 and an 8.

Good luck. They are nice looking cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tha backs look amazing!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

hoping for 7's and 8's for you...beautiful cards!