Home Precious Metals
Options

The Great Kentucky Hoard - Civil War Gold

blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3njgLjVizs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4SWTatvqM

Fascinating. I couldn't even imagine something like this happening but if it did I'm fairly certain that I would not go public with it. RGDS!

Comments

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of other hoards too with many coins found....this KY hoard as I recall had a few very rare Liberty Head DEs.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, if I found that in my property, my collection would’ve just grown overnight very quietly. B)

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I think it’s a maybe generational thing. Social media can make almost anyone popular. Personally, I’d have a lot more comfortable nest egg as well no bills(house) with non the wiser. Minus the irs of corse. 😂

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I found something like that, no one would ever know it ever existed.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible story. One thing I'm wondering about is the history of the property ownership. I didn't hear it mentioned but owned the land during that period of time? Does that provide any indication of how that many coins ended up in that one location?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a ‘horde’ designation gives a provenance to a coin that increases the value above any random like coin in a like grade. People like showing a coin to friends and family and if you can link the coin to an historical event then it’s with the extra to people that can afford it.

Of course it better be more than the capital gains tax computed on 100% of the proceeds.