Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Coin That Turned Bad In The Holder?

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recent thread by @sellitstore sparked this question.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer and sorry to see that

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the coin years ago off eBay without knowing about or looking at the details of the coin. I was assuming it was straight graded without damage. Live and learn!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Did look like that when you received it, and if so has it progressed to a worse condition today?

@Slade01 said:
    Did look like that when you received it.

Yes.

@Slade01 said:
    and if so has it progressed to a worse condition today?

I no longer own it.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things I like about the old holders nowadays is, what you see is what you get. Everything should be stable by now…

edited May 12, 2024 1:11PM

@asheland said:
    One of the things I like about the old holders nowadays is, what you see is what you get. Everything should be stable by now…

I couldn't see or tell by the sellers pictures, it was a problem coin. Oh well.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

New or not, if I had that coin raw the only “holder” it would ever see in my lifetime would be my desk drawer

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made bad purchases on Ebay and seem to occasional repeat it too. I thought I could find the proof of what the mint mark was, but I just crashed and burned. I got what I saw and still have it 3- 4 years later.

PMD on a good day

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

It looks like a plugged hole @JWP

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 2:38PM

I prefer 95% collection raw I break the holders unless it is a key date and very rare otherwise anything under AU comes out and gets an acetone bath even if I see nothing on the coins. Then they go into 2 by 2 cardboard Mylar holders. I check my other 5% of coins once a year or every 6 months when bringing new coins to my safety deposit box at my bank.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have high bid on eBay right now for a small lot of copper coinage.
    Looking on the phone I threw a bid on the coin lot 4 days ago.
    Figuring I could sell off half and be into the keepers for dang near no cost.
    Looking at bigger pictures on the computer, hmmm. No other bids yet... maybe I jumped the Shark.
    I should stick with silver and gold.
    IF I don't get outbid I definitely see an acetone purchase in the near future.
    Local coin club auctions might be my saving grace :o

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    I've made bad purchases on Ebay and seem to occasional repeat it too. I thought I could find the proof of what the mint mark was, but I just crashed and burned. I got what I saw and still have it 3- 4 years later.

PMD on a good day

You should try and remove the plug.
    Would it take away value?
    Might be able to see the mint mark?

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@JWP said:

PMD on a good day

You should try and remove the plug.
    Would it take away value?
    Might be able to see the mint mark?

It looks like a hole was drilled completely through the coin. It mayhave been used on a key ring or a chain. I paid around $30 for it, so it is worth maybe $26 melt.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you keep it?

Vplite99

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file