Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin cleaning help

What is the best way to clean an old penny without causing damage to the coin? 1906 Indian head penny.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple. Don't.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Puppylovin said:
    What is the best way to clean an old penny without causing damage to the coin? 1906 Indian head penny.

Why does it need cleaning? Can we get a pic?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coin22lover said:
    Never, ever clean a coin. Ever.

So, if a copper coin has active PVC, the PVC should not be cleaned off of the coin with a quick dip in acetone?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think of PVC removal more as decontamination than cleaning.

In any case, I am pretty sure a new poster asking about "cleaning" wasn't referring to that. :)

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

In any case, I am pretty sure a new poster asking about "cleaning" wasn't referring to that. :)

Agreed - but I'd also add that you should be very careful on using acetone on circulated coins. You never know what you might uncover.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coin22lover said:

@JBK said:

Agreed - but I'd also add that you should be very careful on using acetone on circulated coins. You never know what you might uncover.

Like what? Reality?

You'd prefer to keep obfuscating organic crap on your coins?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Puppylovin The above decon reveal is true but pvc is relentless. Lesser of two evils. Good luck. Show us pics of your cent.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Puppylovin said:

Why does it need cleaning? Can we get a pic?

Good luck.

• Pictures attached for reference, what is PVC decontamination vs cleaning? Maybe there is nothing I can do for this one

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well played. It's corroded, not cleanable anyway.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water.

LCoopie = Les
  • tcollectstcollects Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

okay, you can clean it, leave it in vinegar overnight and send us pics in the morning

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 10:28AM

@tcollects said:
    okay, you can clean it, leave it in vinegar overnight and send us pics in the morning

To add a little more detail... Vinegar is a type of acid. When you put a coin in acid, you will damage that coin and lose all numismatic value that it originally.

However, in your case your pics show a coin that is horribly corroded already. It has no value. It is not possible for it to lose value when it has no value to start with. So, sure, give it a shot with vinegar. Steel wool would be another choice. Whatever you choose, this coin will never have value. It is beyond help, sorry.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Another choice that is vinegar based is ketchup, I find that the little Whataburger packets are best. Strips everything away and leaves a nice bright pink tone.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

(vinegar is one of the main ingredients in ketchup)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 10:42AM

@JBK said:

They could be talking about surface dirt. There are safe ways to remove that as well.

It is important to give appropriate warnings. But I'm not sure that saying "never" is appropriate.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's far beyond any ability to conserve it. In general cents are the hardest to conserve, made of metals that are the most reactive to the environmental conditions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

Horrible. Some day someone else will find this thread and not know that you are kidding.

To the OP. That coin is beyond cleaning but could be used to experiment. Aqueous acids, like vinegar, will ruin any copper coin to which you apply it.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

Horrible. Some day someone else will find this thread and not know that you are kidding.

To the OP. That coin is beyond cleaning but could be used to experiment. Aqueous acids, like vinegar, will ruin any copper coin to which you apply it.

oh you're no fun, I think I see a doubled die under all that crust

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file