Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

How are your eyes holding up?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2024 9:39AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

This is similar to a thread that I started over in the coin forum and we are similar here, I that we rely on our eyes for enjoyment of our hobby.

In a nutshell, my eyes were great and I couldn't understand how some older people could even read the dates on coins. That was 40 years ago. Now I understand. Like many, I had a little difficulty with distance that needed correction but my eyesight, close up, without correction was always fine. Now not so much.

How about your eyes? Can laser correction surgery help in any cases? How well can you see and how has it changed (if any) over time?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

While working at Mercedes-Benz of Tampa, a prominent Tampa Ophthalmologist was so enamored with our custom service that he offered half off for all employees on Lasik surgery. I took advantage of the discount and can honestly say it was the best money I’ve ever spent. This corrected my nearsightedness. Over the years I’ve gone to prescription reading glasses for help in seeing close up.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

During my last exam they scratched my cornea in one eye. And 3 weeks later I got a floater in that eye. Leery now with optometrists. Was better before the exam.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember in the movie National Treasure, the first one when they found those toned glasses ?
    (the first kaliedscope ?) My new glasses when outside in the sunny areas they show a faint spectrum effect.
    I don't mind this because it keeps me alert and calm.
    I HATE GLASSES.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Remember in the movie National Treasure, the first one when they found those toned glasses ?
    (the first kaliedscope ?) My new glasses when outside in the sunny areas they show a faint spectrum effect.
    I don't mind this because it keeps me alert and calm.
    I HATE GLASSES.

I wear glasses. Do you hate me then? Go ahead and say it if you do, I won’t hold it against you! :D

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

they left a wwhile ago, can you speak up some?

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

I have glasses & have to use a magnifying glass on almost anything banknote related! B) (Maybe I should take off my clip-ons!)

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 6:32AM

@johnny9434 said:
    they left a wwhile ago, can you speak up some?

Steve did all right but Bluejay's experience concerns me. Lasix is by choice but cataracts are more of a necessary surgery. I've seen similar mixed results from each over the years.

I had thought that the cheap, drug store "cheaters" were prescription, but recently learned that they only magnify. There must be prescription glasses for viewing up close, no? Does anyone use those?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Yes, I switched from drugstore cheaters to prescription reading glasses back in 2020. Absolutely love ‘em.

L,M,N,O,P really should be together…

• You me "elomenop?
    Definition?

• Or "Elemenopy?

• Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    L,M,N,O,P really should be together…

I thought it was L,M,A,O but can't find the P Steve!

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Lately, I've had an annoying floater, but things are pretty good. I do wear glasses, but my vision has actually corrected itself a little with age. I'll be glad if I never get a detached retina again, though -- repaired 12 years ago and still holding.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you aware that on the coin side of our hobby there is a single individual (or two) who have such infallible eyes that many people still pay for his/their approval signified by a sticker on a holder already graded by at least three other graders? And their eyes are still just as good as they were 40 years ago? Seems superhuman.

I'm not sure one can even speak these words on the Coin Forum, so I didn't point it out in my "eyesight" thread there but maybe some of the coin guys can put 2+2 together. Pierre Frickke is the only currency guy stickering notes and I'd guess that most are his own. Stickering notes isn't a thing yet and hopefully won't become one here. It's one persons opinion and eyes don't last forever.

• RodentmanRodentman Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

I had Lasik in 2010 with great results. Then cataract surgery. Then pupilloplasty to correct ghosting. The eyes have it.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had cataract surgery around 2006 and am doing great.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

I find when I’m looking at auction lots, I take off my glasses and use a magnifier (coins mostly)

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Organic fresh carrot juice regularly may help as would other high quality supplements with nutrients for eye health.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Organic fresh carrot juice regularly may help as would other high quality supplements with nutrients for eye health.

"Eye Candy" may help to sharpen vision as well.😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".