Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this 1799 LC...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching this coin as it was bid up to over $4k USD... then... poof....

The coin is (was) raw... on eBay... it's one of the more difficult dates to find in the Draped Bust series... not great pictures...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭

$4k seems pretty rich for a raw one in that condition off of eBay.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does "poof" mean in this case? The auction disappeared, ended or changed?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be S188, the 1799/8. From what little I can discern, it matches up.
    I would need it slabbed though if I was buying it….

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    What does "poof" mean in this case? The auction disappeared, ended or changed?
    Jim

"Poof" means that I was watching the auction with about an hour to go... when I checked later, it was gone, the number of bids went to zero, and it looks like the seller ended it early.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file