Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this gouge on a Morgan

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm baffled by this gouge at the Eagle's throat and would like some opinions. If it is man made it was skillfully done. It is only in the field and does not extend to the Eagle on the right or left. Is it just damage? Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Looks like man made PMD to me, I just can't see a planchet defect or mint process doing that.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 7:52PM

Looks intentionally done to me as well, maybe the start of some type of carving/love token that stalled and never finished. The metal piled along the cuts pretty much exclude this happing during the minting process.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 12:07PM

I'm on-board with the intentional damage opinion. It seems odd (but not impossible) to me to have random damage being so bad in the field all the way up to features (wing and neck) apparently without affecting those features themselves.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a cut from a sharp object to me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would need to see in hand. Almost certainly PMD, but a strike-through (possible) or lamination (a stretch) are considerations.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look PMD here also.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

pmd and dont spend it

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the PMD camp. It's just hard to fathom why someone would do this! Especially since it's a 93-s.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD with the strongest hit on the left. Wear has obliterated the weak scratch that once crossed the neck.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Would need to see in hand.

No, we do not.

a strike-through (possible) or lamination (a stretch) are considerations.

No, they are not. There is no way the either of those could produce raised ridges on both sides of a trough.

If you want to speculate that the OP's pics are not accurate, that's fine. All sorts of things could be true if they aren't in the pictures. But from the pics shown, this is 100% damage.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highest grad for the Discovery piece for the "Spitting Eagle"

:)

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the lower two pictures, there's some lighter damage slightly lower across the wing and wreath at right, too.

I think that someone went eagle hunting with a sharp object and took a couple of jabs at this coin.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    PMD with the strongest hit on the left. Wear has obliterated the weak scratch that once crossed the neck.

After reading 291fifth's post I agree with this statement and It appears to me, that something struck the coin from the top scar and skipped downward causing the additional marks. It appears that it did not just happen to the field but the Eagles throat as well and as said, evidence wore away with circulation. True shame.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Post mint damage

So PMD, just with words? :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file