Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this error real? I'm on the fence......I promise I didn't find it in a parking lot

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2024 3:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What say you? I'm on the fence if this error is real. It is being offered to me at a show I am set up at currently. Do you believe this is a true double struck in collar?

Thanks for any help!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above explanation and conclusion – it’s not a genuine double strike in the collar,
    in my opinion either. These were fairly common around late 1964 and 1965.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the expert has spoken. I now know what side of the real or fake fence I am on! Thank you!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    The reverse is the typical warping that you see with these 196X false die strikes.

Can you point out the warping?

(I agree with the conclusion that this is a false die strike, for the other reasons mentioned. I'm just curious about the warping part.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file