Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Leu Numismatik Feedback?

Has anyone purchased a coin out of a Leu Numismatik auction? Any issues? Anything to be aware of?

Looks like 22.5% BP + ~$85 shipping to the US.

Comments

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

One of the big auction houses. Not cheap but you don't have to use FedEx unless you want to be ripped off. Like most Swiss auctions, they usually attract wealthy people who don't care that they're overpaying.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@John Conduitt said:
    Like most Swiss auctions, they usually attract wealthy people who don't care that they're overpaying.

More and more, I am thinking this is true.

As for Leu, I have not used them, but those fees are par for the course in Europe. At least you will not have to pay VAT (assuming you are not in Europe).

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@John Conduitt said:
    Like most Swiss auctions, they usually attract wealthy people who don't care that they're overpaying.

Actually, you could say the same about auction firms all over the world. But even though sometimes you have to bid against "wealthy people who don't care that they're overpaying", the vast majority of coins sell to buyers who are far more price conscious.

And FWIW, I'm currently in Switzerland covering a couple of auctions, and I fully expect to buy some good deals.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the comments @MrEureka @pruebas and @John Conduitt

I’m new to ancients and very much feel like a newbie despite collecting US for 25+ years and world for a few years.

I found the ancients Reddit sub which has good commentary on the Euro auction houses as well.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sent me some nice printed catalogs, those books are very very well done!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter