Home Stamps Forum
Options

Selling Stamp Collection Pre 1960

Cut & Paste from another Stamp thread:

I have a stamp collection from 1960 and before. about 500 US stamps, 1860 - 1960 Postal, 1900 - 1960 commemorative and Air Mail. etc.
Then about another 500 - 1000 from Poland, Hungry, Greece, Germany, Canada, France, Great Britian and various other foreign countries. It's been collecting dust for nearly 60 years.
I belonged to a stamp club up to the age of 15 or so and we use to meet at the "Old Slater Mill" in Rhode Island.

I have NO clue what if anything it may be worth.
Don't trust dealers in the area. If they are like most sports card dealers, they offer about 1/10 the actual value.

I want to get rid of it !!! ( without devoting a lot of time figuring out if there is a gem in the ruff )
Any ideas on how to do it ???
Hoping I can get $300 - $700.

Fred from RI

Flag Quote · Agree Like LOL
FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 29 ✭May 8, 2024 3:46AM
Also a recent album of "Presidents of the United States ; proof cards from Washington- Regan .. seen on eBay for $175.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭May 8, 2024 1:23PM
@FredJRI said:
Similar problem but a collection of mine from prior to 1960:

Blah, blah,blah.

Fred from RI

Post some photos of what you think are the best items. It is impossible to guess at valuation based on your current description. Stamp collecting has been trending downward for decades and many items that were once in demand no longer are. In the case of the foreign stamps please state their condition so far as hinged/never hinged goes. Also, for the foreignstamps are they in complete sets (good) or broken sets (bad).

All glory is fleeting.
Flag Quote · 2Agree 1Like
LOL

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭✭✭May 8, 2024 10:43PM
@FredJRI said:
Similar problem but a collection of mine from prior to 1960:

I have a stamp collection from 1960 and before. about 500 US stamps, 1860 - 1960 Postal, 1900 - 1960 commemorative and Air Mail. etc.
Blah, blah, blah !!!
Fred from RI

Fred, what does it matter if you get 1/10 of the value as long as you get your $3-700 and don’t spend much time? Go ahead and ask someone local.

I doubt you want to be shipping all that material around (and back, when you don’t get what you wanted).

Flag Quote · Agree Like 1LOL
FredJRI

Yes, most certainly, because if I thnk the actual value maybe be around $600 - 1500 the dealer will probably offer me
$50 - $100 not $300 - $700 I'm looking for.. lololol

Just for example, I took 4 cards to a local sports card dealer about two weeks ago , a 62 Topps Aaron, a 65 Topps Rose and 65 Topps Koufax all ungraded, also 2002 Topps PSA 9 Brady. Did a quick search on PSA Price Guide estimating the condition or grade. The Aaron and Rose were probably conservatively 3-4's and the Koufax was maybe a 5 or 6 definitely the best one excluding the 2002 Brady. I figured perhaps a rough PSA value of $600 - $1200 for all four cards.
I knew the dealer would low ball me so I expected an offer of about $300 - $400 from him.
The dealer spends about 10-15 minutes on the PC and his cell finally comes back and says**** " I can give you $128." *** I said " __How about without the Koufax_ " _, "**Oh,, that is the best one **(no shit Sherlock I'm thinking to myself.) **That is worth about a $100**" . In essence he was offering me $28 for the Aaron, Rose and Brady. I just shook my head and said said " __No I can't sell them for that price___ " .and walked out.

I put them on eBay last week and got about $200 excluding the Koufax !! LOLOLOLOL

I may not be the brightest light bulb on the string, but I still put out a few lumens!

@pruebas .. you did give me an idea.
If the stamp dealers are anything like the sports card dealers locally, I should have them give me a price and throw it on eBay or some place for 10X the amount. heheheeheehe

FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 31 ✭May 9, 2024 2:24AM
291fifth said
Post some photos of what you think are the best items.
It is impossible to guess at valuation based on your current description.
Stamp collecting has been trending downward for decades and many items that were once in demand no longer are.
In the case of the foreign stamps please state their condition so far as hinged/never hinged goes.
Also, for the foreign stamps are they in complete sets (good) or broken sets (bad).

FredJRI said:
I could when I have more time.
I'm new here and stilt trying to figure how to navigate the site.
Primarily sports card collecting but noticed a coin & stamp area.
Great, only been here 3 or 4 days but I LOVE IT !!!

The majority if them are hinged in my album " The Comprehensive WoldWide Stamp Album" about 3" thick and black in color. Think I bought it about 65 years ago in my teens.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread EchoCanyon.. just learning the website , SORRY.

Best Answers

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The sports card market is hot so I am not surprised that you got much more than what the dealer offered when selling on eBay.

The stamp market is cold and the market for anything less that rarities in high grade is ice cold. If your stamp collection consists of just a bunch of common US and foreign stamps you may be lucky to even get an offer from a local dealer. Common mint US stamps from the 1930s, 40s and fifties will bring only a small fraction of face value. The foreign stamps from that era could have some value if they are from the right countries and are full sets though the hinging will bring down their value. If the foreign consists of just a large group of packet material they will bring almost nothing. eBay may not be able to save you when it comes to stamps.

As I said before, post some photos. The PCGS stamp board may not be big or active but the few participants will give you honest opinions.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

See if the collection has any of the Zeppelin stamps. $$

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

What are they?
    Graf Zeppelin ??
    I wish hehehe!

Answers

• Options

WILCO eventually

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Hi Fred--

Based on your description, I'm guessing you have a beginner collection. I base this on the countries you listed, common type for the era you mentioned.
    As such, minimal value.
    Worldwide collections like this are impossible to move to dealers. Dealers prefer specialization, as they have places to move this material they do not specialize in. But they need to make money.
    Forget an auction house. Minimal value collection.
    Best is to list on e-Bay or Facebook. However, your $300-700 wish may be a pipe dream.
    Dealers in RI specialize in US rarities or British areas.
    However, you may have that one rare collection that trumps my opinion.
    Posting pictures here, or emailing some to the people responding to your post will assist greatly.
    Good Luck!

• Options

Thank you for your input.
    I may just look at the pre 1900 US stamps (about 100) and forge the rest.
    I heard post 1900 US used stamps are basically worthless.

• Options

Condition will be critical for pre-1900 issues. If they have any faults at all the value declines sharply.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Think I may just take about 10 pics and throw it on e-Bay ...

starting at $50 let it fall where it may.

• Options

The album may actually be worth more than the stamps. Describe it fully and take good photos of it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Okay ..lolololol

• Options

My comment was serious. It wasn't a joke. When i sold the bulk of my stamp collection almost 30 years ago the thing that returned the highest percentage of its original cost were the albums.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The album may actually be worth more than the stamps. Describe it fully and take good photos of it.

Sir, you are correct.
    Just checked eBay and the 'Comprehensive Worldwide Stamp Album' with a few stamps used is on the market for $100 to $300.

Thank You