Home U.S. Coin Forum

1974 d mint penny

Interesting history on the aluminum penny in this year and what would you do if you found another existing one in your change? The thought came when I found this one that appears to have had the plating taken off.

Tagged:

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

? You have what appears to be a normal bronze cent that has been wire brushed.

There was no mint "plating" on 1974. The bronze cents and the experimental/test aluminum cents were solid metal.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 12:32PM

Weigh it to two decimal points.
    An aluminum coin would weigh less than a gram and had no plating.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, this seems to be a coin that was made in the billions, that has suffered from post strike damage, using a wire brush. This is not unfortunately one of the rare "test" cents. It is just a regular damaged cent. Sorry for the bad news.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • I know this isn’t the rare coin the coin made me look into the history and question was posed if you found the rare one due to it being illegal to own how would you proceed with coin.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hoardt1 said:
    I know this isn’t the rare coin the coin made me look into the history and question was posed if you found the rare one due to it being illegal to own how would you proceed with coin.

Good question. It would be illegal to own without legal action to somehow legalize it, so I guess I'd keep it to myself.

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭

@Hoardt1 said:
    I know this isn’t the rare coin the coin made me look into the history and question was posed if you found the rare one due to it being illegal to own how would you proceed with coin.

That is a topic that probably matters individually per coin. However, in this case, there are owned examples by private collectors, I am no expert, but I assume they are fine to own. Certain things have been brought into question before (1933 $20 gold for the most famous recent example). However, legality is probably looked at in a case by case basis in general. Good question though? Im sure someone here can elaborate better than me on that.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 8:55AM

@Hoardt1 said:
    Interesting history on the aluminum penny in this year and what would you do if you found another existing one in your change? The thought came when I found this one that appears to have had the plating taken off.

Check out this article I had first posted this about a year ago

https://forums.collectors.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://www.coinworld.com/voices/bill-gibbs/an_unexpected_phone.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file