logger7logger7 Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this notice; a currency dealer leaving Central States got hit:

INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Des Plaine PD

REPORT NUMBER: N/A

TYPE OF INCIDENT: Vehicle Burglary

DATE OCCURRED: 5/4/24

INCIDENT LOCATION: Des Plaine, IL

Major Currency Loss

The owner of Emporium Coin & Currency traveling home from the Central States Numismatic Society coin show was the victim of a vehicle burglary in Des Plaines, IL. The victim stopped at a restaurant and while inside suspects broke out the window to his vehicle and removed several bags containing a large inventory of currency.

Stolen currency included a wide selection of Nationals, Obsoletes, Large & Small Type notes, Colonials, Fractionals, Errors, and Canadian notes.

The victim is currently working on a detailed list. However, any dealer who is offered a large quantity of notes should contact NCIC to determine if any of the notes are stolen.

NCIC will send out an update with further information once it is available from investigators.

Anyone with Information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• Options

I hope they find the "coin show follow home crew" soon. I hate seeing this news repeat.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly unfortunate.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Ed, the owner of Emporium Coin & Currency at a F.U.N. Show in Tampa. Very interesting character. I ended up buying two Obsolete (Rhode Island) notes from Ed before the end of the show. Here’s one of them, a $5 New England Commercial Bank remainder.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

When are dealers going to stop going into restaurants on the way home from a show? Start thinking.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I was very sorry to hear that this happened to Ed Rothberg. He has been running around doing many shows for many years-very hard working guy. And, yes, quite an interesting character.

At least the theft was paper and much of it was probably documented and can be positively identified by serial number. Chances of recovery are much better than gold coins or jewelry. Let's hope for the best and keep alert for Ed's notes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

He stopped at Des Plaines which is only 10 miles from Schaumburg.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 4:19PM

I would think that at least a quarter of the dealers with high end material deemed ripe targets get followed from shows or have Lojacks put under their vehicles. For once I'd like to see a set-up by sharp, savvy off duty or ex-law enforcement people to ambush the criminals. Not to kill, but to catch them. I'm not sure what the rules are to cite people with criminal intent, but once they are caught breaking and entering I'd think there would be sufficient grounds to hold them, or have them arrested for a hearing.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 6:03PM

Sorry to hear the bad news, Ed is a super great guy and has a cute neice that sometimes attends.
    Years ago, I was at Ed's table and he told me he was tired because he had to sleep in his car for the show.