Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another special CRHunted coin Found!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
Yes, while I was going through a Nickel bank box. This coin popped out. Lol
It's a 1964d Jefferson
With the obvious Lamination appearance.
However, something else along with the Lamination?

It most certainly looks like some metal is missing? The copper shows more than the normal metal. I weighed it. It comes up short of the normal 5 grams. It's 4.8.
What do you guys think?
Thanks 😉

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper wash lamination?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more pic? lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal is added, not missing. This was struck on a sintered planchet. Basically, the planchet got a fine coating of copper, which then fused to the surface during strike. Sometimes described as "black beauty" in cases where the coating is dark. Fairly common on 1964 strikes and several other dates in the late 50s and early 60s.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some sort of planchet issue, I don't know what it's called... improper alloy mix maybe?

@FredWeinberg

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, jonathanb nailed what it is, and what caused it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@jonathanb said:
    Metal is added, not missing. This was struck on a sintered planchet. Basically, the planchet got a fine coating of copper, which then fused to the surface during strike. Sometimes described as "black beauty" in cases where the coating is dark. Fairly common on 1964 strikes and several other dates in the late 50s and early 60s.

Wow, thanks for all the info. Never heard of such an error.
    At first glance, I thought it was toned?
    :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Thank you, all for chiming in, esp you Fred. How's retirement? I, myself, will be on that path in 2 more months!
    :)

• Options

@jonathanb said:

Thank you too.
    Are you Mr. Sullivan?
    :*

• Options

@gonzer said:
    Copper wash lamination?

;)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very appealing piece.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

An excellent example of that type of "error". Bold with no magnifying glass needed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

I thought that Black beauty was when the planchet was heated wrongly, not sintered with copper.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 10:01AM

@CRHer700 said:

@jonathanb said:

I thought that Black beauty was when the planchet was heated wrongly, not sintered with copper.

Like this 1954 in my circulation folder.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file