Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a known error in the 1963 penny series?

I bought a few rolls of 1963 BU back in 2007. I forgot about them until recently and opened the last few rolls. This error coin, is very slim with beautiful markings on the reverse side. I'm still new to this coin-collecting hobby and am concerned that what I have is a fake. The other coins are remarkable for their age as well.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Lucky dog!

• GET OUT!

I bought the rolls on ebay. So I should send it in to be graded :) ?

• I have so many great-looking 1963. Are they common in the MS66,67 grades?

edited May 7, 2024 8:40AM

@christianpigeon said:
    I have so many great-looking 1963. Are they common in the MS66,67 grades?

Do they look like that one?

To a try to answer your question:
    No, it is not a known error as a doubled die would be classed.
    It’s what Mark called it.
    I do not know if there is a standard term for dramatic mint mutations.

PCGS CoinFacts helps.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify, errors can happen to any coin at any time, so asking if there is a known error in this scenario is not really applicable.

But, it is a fantastic error. Value would determine whether or not to get it slabbed. I suspect it is worth it, but let's see what the experts say.

Does a trace of the 3 remain? That would affect the value.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would slab it.

Cool coin that deserves preserving for a future collector.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• @Fraz said:
    Does a trace of the 3 remain? That would affect the value.

The 3 is there faintly. The L in liberty is completely gone.

edited May 7, 2024 9:09AM

Great. I would put it in an airtite. Were I young I would slab it to keep it for a long time. I don’t shop errors, so I cannot help value the coin.

Let's get some of the big guns to weigh in on value (I know I missed a couple, no offense intended).

@FredWeinberg
    @MWallace

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 9:56AM

@JBK said:
    Let's get some of the big guns to weigh in on value (I know I missed a couple, no offense intended).

@FredWeinberg
    @MWallace

What @MarkKelley said. Struck on a split before strike planchet.

Edited to add that the value is around $40.

• @MWallace said:

@JBK said:

@FredWeinberg
    @MWallace

$40 as is or slabbed?

edited May 7, 2024 10:50AM

@christianpigeon said:

@MWallace said:

@JBK said:

@FredWeinberg
    @MWallace

$40 as is or slabbed?

That's always the dilemma. I'm not sure slabbing necessarily adds much/any value, but it does make it more marketable.

Value does not matter when you find it. It’s a trophy. You’ll never buy a better one..

edited May 7, 2024 11:23AM

@Fraz said:
    Value does not matter when you find it. It’s a trophy. You’ll never buy a better one..

Yes, never underestimate this angle. The coin basically cost you nothing or very little, so you have some breathing room in regard to slabbing costs, especially if you want to keep it.

It is indeed a trophy. I've searched a few hundred thousand coins and never found anything similar. Almost all active roll searchers won't ever find anything like it, either.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I’ve handled hundreds of them in my old career, they certainly are much scarcer to find nowadays then they were back in the 60s 70s and 80s. I think most are still in collections that were built decades ago.

The 1963 coin shown is quite nice and very “red“ — One of the nicest examples I’ve seen
    Back in the day AU -ish coins were three to five dollars, and ten dollars and fifteen dollars, et cetera over the years. Although I don’t think I’ve ever sold one for $40, that price range seems very fair for the scarcity of it in such condition.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

There is at least one error dealer "asking" $60-$80 for them.

• Thank you all for your insights. o:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file