Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Finally found my hometown national!

Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2024 2:15PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Taken years, and not a rare bank- but finally got my hands on my hometown note. Folks moved to Claremont, CA when I was a baby, and I lived there till I moved out.

Rare Nationals &
Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 2:18PM

Excellent. It’s always cool to find your first hometown note.
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

Thank you sir. Everett WA is my birthplace, and notes are plentiful from there. You locate yours?

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I purchased my first hometown note in the Spring of 1969.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Pomona Valley of New Jersey, right? Just next to Montclair and Pomona. ;)

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

its way cool on finding the mote, i like

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:
    Taken years, and not a rare bank- but finally got my hands on my hometown note. Folks moved to Claremont, CA when I was a baby, and I lived there till I moved out.

I just moved to Claremont for work. Clearly you should be sending it to me....

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things do work out with time. Congratulations.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 11:45AM

@humanssuck said:

@Ted 1 said:

I just moved to Claremont for work. Clearly you should be sending it to me....

Just for work? It's my alma mater. I played on the Claremont HS golf team. Rode my bike throughout the Village as a kid. Rhino Records. Village Grille. A Kline Chocolatier. First haircut downtown. Grew up Indian Hill/ Wagner Dr. All my memories are in that city. :)

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats-Trying to remember when I was in Claremont last. I suspect it has been 35 years. There are the Claremont Colleges and Griswold's which I suspect is long gone. The distance between LA and Claremont may not seem that great today, but it was a different world at the time this note was issued. I suspect this note is simply not that easy to find.

There is a great line from the film Sunset Blvd when the character played by William Holden responds to Norma Desmond, played by Gloria Swanson with "They'll love it in Pomona"... obviously not Claremont... but close enough.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Congrats-Trying to remember when I was in Claremont last. I suspect it has been 35 years. There are the Claremont Colleges and Griswold's which I suspect is long gone. The distance between LA and Claremont may not seem that great today, but it was a different world at the time this note was issued. I suspect this note is simply not that easy to find.

There is a great line from the film Sunset Blvd when the character played by William Holden responds to Norma Desmond, played by Gloria Swanson with "They'll love it in Pomona"... obviously not Claremont... but close enough.

Griswold's is long gone unfortunately. Claremont Colleges still thriving.

I don't even know the census amount for the bank in small size, my guess is 20 known - But they seem to be tightly held.

Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz once stayed at the Mayfair Hotel in Pomona, on Garey Ave. (Right by Antique Row)
    Mayfair is now remodeled apartment homes.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suspect less than 20 but I am not the expert. You did raise a valid point about some of the surviving population being held in tight hands which makes handicapping the remaining notes tough to quantify

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

@Ted 1 said:

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

Thank you sir. Everett WA is my birthplace, and notes are plentiful from there. You locate yours?

Definitely. Before selling my collection, I must have had a least 15 Tampa notes. I kept three large sized Tampa Nationals that are framed up under museum glass with a photo of what the bank looked like when they were circulating.

That’s really cool!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on finding that hometown note!
    I am a native to Sarasota, Florida and I understand those are extraordinarily rare so I’m not looking for one of those…

However, recently, I did get a national from Asheville, North Carolina, I don’t technically live there, but I’ve worked And lived near Asheville for over 25 years.

It’s my first national ever so it was a fun find!

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Fantastic note