Home U.S. Coin Forum

What kind of error is this? I have my own ideas....

tincuptincup Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

An error I just picked up at a local auction: A 2000 Massachusetts State quarter:

----- kj

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup what was your idea? And if it didn't match Fred's idea, how can you tell which one is right?

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went back and forth between grease filled dies... and a die adjustment strike, due to both sides affected and mainly around the edges. Though wasn't sure if reeding would show as much with a die adjustment strike.

Although I like to 'think' I have some knowledge on errors I have learned through the years by trial and error.... Fred is the go to person in my opinion! Thanks Fred!

----- kj
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    I went back and forth between grease filled dies... and a die adjustment strike, due to both sides affected and mainly around the edges. Though wasn't sure if reeding would show as much with a die adjustment strike.

That's the key. Die adjustment strikes have weak or no reeding. Very weak or no rims, also.

• MartinMartin Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Nice example of grease filled dies.

Ok this thread didn’t last long

Martin

• Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 10:06PM

Don't we need to know the weign? f the planchet was out of tolerance, there would not be enough metal to fill the dies and the coin would look like this. There was an article in Numismatic News where the authenticators thought the coin was from grease fill dies until they weighed the coin and found the planchet was underweight altought the coin was not circulated. it was either a Washington quarter or Kennedy half dollar - I don'r remember the coin, just the message. Maybe Numismatic news has an archive.

PS I don't remember if the center of that coin was as strong as the OP's. That might change everything.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 3:51AM

@Married2Coins said:
    PS I don't remember if the center of that coin was as strong as the OP's. That might change everything.

An undersized planchet will have very weak high points as the metal will not fill the die. You would generally also have more uniform striking (weak) unless tyke planchet were tapered or something like that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I did weigh the coin, and it was within the expected range for a quarter.

----- kj

Grease it is! Has anyone seen vintage BU silver coins with clear grease (?) at the rims? I have and assumed it was mint grease. Sometimes it is black.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Nice example of grease filled dies.

Ok this thread didn’t last long

Martin

That's the way it should be. No distractions with nitpicking or pathetic efforts to show "I know more than you."

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file