Home Q & A Forum

Value of Genuine (cleaned) graded Morgan Dollars

Hello,

I recently had some Morgan Dollars graded and they came back with a Genuine grade. One was Unc Genuine, 2 were AU Genuine and one was an AU repaired. I'm trying to understand what a fair market price is for these coins. I understand they are worth less because of being cleaned. Is there a "rule of thumb" on how these should be priced compared to non-cleaned grades? I've attached two examples.

1880-CC - PCGS 49404977

1883-S - PCGS 49404979

Comments

• skamienieckiskamieniecki Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I think it all depends upon the coin's population and collector need. In my opinion any CC minted coin will suffer less of a hit when cleaned than say a 1922 P Peace dollar cleaned in a similar manner. Neither coin appears to be too badly damaged by cleaning and I can't see where the other coin was repaired, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• SametsSamets Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

I typically see the problem coins listed on eBay at great prices but since I'm building a Morgan registry set, I scroll past them. eBay sold listing may be your best bet for researching the values...

For example, the last 3 sales of 1880-CC with UNC details with various problems:

3/17 $620 UNC details with questionable color
    4/2 $526 UNC details with cleaning
    5/20 $599 UNC details with polishing

Hope this helps.

• Thank you Samets. Very helpful. Do you have some key date Morgans you are looking for for your registry set? There are over 350 Morgans in the estate collection I am trying to liquidate. Thank you.