Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone ever seen this NGC slab/sticker before?

Jotull16Jotull16 Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited May 5, 2024 4:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am a fan of older/unusual slabs. I know there are many knowledgeable collectors here so maybe someone can help shed some light on this unusual ngc slab (or more accurately strange ngc sticker) that I just had to purchase. I've never come across this before. It certainly seems like it was applied by NGC when the coin was slabbed. Perhaps in the very early days of NGC photo imaging coins, they applied these stickers to make collectors aware of this new feature? If so, why haven't I seen more of these stickers? Or maybe you guys have seen this before. Any thoughts or explanations would be appreciated. Thanks

Russell Knudson

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen those stickers before, and my assumption is the same as yours, a way for NGC to promote its photography services at the time. But I have never looked for an official answer either.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these as well.

Here is an old thread from the NGC forums:
    https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/1660-ngc-imaged/

"This is an old sticker from four or five years ago. At that time it was anticipated that we would place all imaged coins on our website, but it didn't come to pass. More recent stickers omit any mention of the website, though we will image coins for the customer for a small fee."

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 4:58PM

It is not much, but here is a start.

As a bonus, it provides a some explanation as to why the image is not present on the NGC certification.

Edited to add: @U1chicago beat me to it. :)

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool, I had never noticed a sticker like that before.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭

I used to own a coin that had one of those stickers, sold it at least 10 years ago and until this thread I hadn’t seen one since.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarer than a GOLD CAC!!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭

It's quite possible I put that sticker on there. Back in 1999 I started working for a new company that was building an online collectibles marketplace. The first area of focus for the company was coins, and the site was called Abacoin.com. It was to be a site where dealers would list their coins for sale by uploading a file. Should a dealer so choose, they could make some or all of their offerings negotiable, so that a user could submit an offer through the website.

It was so long ago my memory is admittedly a bit fuzzy on all the details, but NGC was involved in the venture. Abacoin would attend coin shows to sign dealers up, and while at the shows we offered to image as much as their inventory as we could that they planned to list. NGC provided the equipment and I would often be taking photos of coins at the shows. Once imaged, I'd put that sticker on there.

The investors ultimately decided to end the venture, which was I think sometime in 2001.

-Chris

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer that the sticker is lyin' to you! I looked up the slab to see how this, presumably ancient, photo would compare to other NGC photos (or PCGS or CAC or even GreatCollections photos these days). But I came up empty!
    https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/7000034-002/66/

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file