Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

A question regarding "Change Over" notes

I have asked this question about the Chage Over pairs;
How many of these respective pairs were made?
I wonder because I could see it if there were multiples of the same serial numbers, but there are not, for the most part, it would be an error.
I am trying to get a handle of just how rare they are.
Thanks for any information or just thoughts,
manofwar1

Comments

• Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

There is no way to accurately know how many COPs were made for any denomination or type. Whether a COP is common or scarce depended on how long those plates were used together. Your question has a very broad answer. What types are you interested in?

I studied $5 COPs for a long time. Pairs between FRN types were uncommon, except for 1934s/1934As. The most common USN and SC COPs were Julian-Snyder/Clark-Snyder; Series 1934C/1934D SC COPs are by far the most common $5 COPs. Pairs involving Julian-Vinson plates are scarce because those plates weren't used for very long.

Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options

Thank you Jamericon forb your input, I do appreciate it.
    Yes of my 8 COP's5 are $5, the others are a $1, $10 and a $50.
    manofwar1

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent some high grade 1934 $100 reverse changeover notes in to PMG for grading and a small size currency professional and book writer was kind enough to give me specific information that I forwarded to PMG that was noted on the holders.

• Options

I find it very logical "COP's" would only be created for the number of times the specific serial numbers would be duplicated, which we know, there are theoretically no duplicates, again COP's are extremely rare and kind of like finding the proverbial needle in a hay stack.
    manofwar1