Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936 Cleveland Commem for the type set album...

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up yesterday at a local shop. The price was right and I think it has nice color... The cheek scuff is really evident under the bright lights and large photo but nearly invisible to my tired eyes in person... there are some black spots scattered her & there both front and back. They don't bother me too much and I think it will look nice next to my other album commems, they all have a little color to them...
Do you think the specks could be from the old tab cardboard thing these came in originally? I'll drown it in acetone for a while to see if it might come off... I'm not too hopeful though.

Comments

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that one sided toning and spotting is from the card of issue and possibly from the acetate window as the windows turn yellow over time. I believe the acetate emits gas that can tone the coin as well.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the color on that one- all yellow-green with a little purple, blue and orange.

I think that the black flecks were more than likely cause by some sort of scattered surface contamination, possibly cardboard dust left over in the holder from manufacturing. The cardboard seems to cause more of a concentric pattern of toning to some degree. Note the black reeding where the cardboard was in direct contact with the coin. The flecks are probably from cardboard dust.

Good tip to note if you are using cardboard albums (or 2x2s) for storage. Blow all dust clear from hole and coin before storage.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file