Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone been collecting gold eagles since the beginning?

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a gold eagle and it got me thinking. Has anyone bought one per year since 1986 as they came out for a full set? Proof or Bullion? Didn't the proof miss a year or something? What a cool set to have if you did it from the beginning. Post some pictures if you have them. I wish I would have done it starting in 1986 but I was busy paying for college and then starting a family. To go back and buy the full set now would be quite the cost. Dollar cost averaging over the years would have been the smart way to do it. I think they would look really cool in a Dansco album or a matching graded set.

37 years of bullion coins would cost around $100,000 if they are graded. Imagine if you had bought all the fractional denominations as well.

Comments

• Options
    NDcoin99NDcoin99 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 5:55PM

I’ve been collecting 1 oz and 1/2 oz AGE’s since 2011. Wish I had been doing so since 1986, but I was only 9 years old when the series started! Since 2020 I’ve also been collecting the 1 ox proof coins. I’m trying to justify buying a 2024 proof for $3200……

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭

There I was thinking I was going to see some cool pre-33 eagle sets. :D

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I am an "old timer" I guess - I have gotten all the 1/4 and 1/2 oz bullion since 1986 and even when they were cheaper a couple of 1 oz & a few doubles with all the "error" ones of the smaller denoms. You end up with a bit of gold....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csdot said:

Me too - and I was wondering who might have been around in 1795 and still a member of this board...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@csdot said:

Me too - and I was wondering who might have been around in 1795 and still a member of this board...

...and someone with a picture of DOrian Grey in the attic?! Seriously though... that would be quite the set and I'm not much into Moderns...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 11:37AM

I started in 1986 through 1992 two sets a year starting with the 1 coin 86, then 2 in 87, then 4 each set, but recently sold off all my sets to fund other things. Also sold off dozens of commemorative sets like Congress, Constitution, Rushmore in various configurations. Now like I told my wife, I need to buy a bunch of stuff that I want to do a §1031 like kind exchange to avoid capital gains. Here are some pics that I still had, couldn't find the 1988 or 1992.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started when gold was 40 bucks.
    That's how long I have not trusted the government or the banks or the corporations.

Gee whiz ! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file