Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have never seen a Peace Dollar with a MS 67 grade and this much damage.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the primary 1922 Peace Dollar on CoinFacts page Graded MS67. I found it while looking for a specific area on the reverse under magnification which had to do with another post, quite by accident. Obviously no
one is perfect and errors happen but this one is a bit unreal. An MS67 can bring quite a large sum as past bidding has shown.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over-graded and unattractive IMO. I don't like it at all.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

Being an advanced collector of 50 plus years and far from an expert, for many of those I have been using Coin Worlds Making the Grade criteria when assigning a grade to something which iterests me prior to purchasing. Even a graded specimen that looks off somewhat, such as these two examples. The 1922 I would call a borderline 67 despite the hit to the reverse rays and the 1934 a 66+ . Since the vast majority of these large, soft metal coins are plaqued with abrasions and dings only a few minor are acceptable and these ones are located in non-distracting areas. Which is why I believe PCGS assigned the grade. That said, with 53 and 27 in the grade respectively, if I were bidding on either it would be within a grade point lower. Just my thoughts.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 7:55PM

Here are pics of the 1922:

Here are pics of the 1934:

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

The blown up mark does not concern me, but I would not not be happy paying hundreds, let alone thousands, for the common date.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks correctly graded to me, especially if you grade downward from 70 instead of upward from 60.

A Morgan with the same look would be in a 68 holder, no doubt.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it at 67. Killer luster

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see how it got 67 based on the luster, but not a coin that I would buy if I was in the market for a 1922p in 67. I expect clean obverse fields at that grade, and there's a couple of hits in front of Liberty's nose that are distracting.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I stand corrected. As I have never been able to purchase MS67 and up coins, so didn't realize they were acceptable in this regard. My bad.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

While, due to the reverse marks, I’d prefer to see the coin graded 66+, I wouldn’t consider a grade lower than that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing people forget about grading is you need to start at the fabric of the coin before taking points away.

Not all coins start at a MS70. Sometimes a coin with no marks can be a 63-64. This one started at MS69 and came down to a lower end 67. It’s luster and mint surfaces are elite, the hits are what take it down the 2.25points remembering that hit on the rev are not weighed the same as the Obv and when hidden in design elements

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw on some light I bet it burns your retinas.

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is subjective, whether it costs you or not.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 1:01PM

It’s a tiny mark. I could make a dust mite look like a rhinoceros with enough magnification. ;):o

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭

The obverse of the 1922 looks ok for an MS67 as far as luster and marks and looks to be a decent coin for the grade but I agree with @MFeld that the reverse has too many marks for this grade.

What I don't like about the coin is the strike. The strike is very poor. The hair is weak and the reverse is awful. The eagle's leg is missing most of the feathers and this lack of detail extends all the way up the wing. The neck feathers are almost non-existent. The lettering is so soft and mushy that some letters are barely there. Look at the word "UNUM." Compare the details to the 1934.

I believe the big difference may be in the mintages. The 1934 has a mintage of just over 950 thousand and the 1922 is over 51 million. Typical 22's often look like the subject coin. They look like the Philadelphia mint just lowered the pressure and just pumped those puppies out.

The subject coin may slide by as a 67 but I can't see it as better than a C coin. In any case, I think I would try to find a nice Gem MS65 coin with a decent strike for the year and settle for that and save a few thousand dollars.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 9:15PM

Recently returned a coin graded MS66 that had a couple things, a long nick or scratch on the coat and a noticeable spot on the forehead that contradicted with what I believe would be MS66. Truth be, I wouldn't've wanted that coin at any grade! lol A 2nd coin I kept from the same seller left me asking why it didn't grade higher. Has one heck of a strike and markfree.
    On the Op's coin, at first, I questioned the coin and at 10 grand as it's listed in the price guide?? But the coin appears PL and likely a luster-bomb and perhaps a bit of a circ-cam. While some areas appear softly struck, yet the hairlines are visible along the side bangs, an awesome feeling to have those details! I've learned long ago their TV's don't always show the details well on Jeff nickels. It's like day and night once the coin is in hand. I've experienced this on a number of occasions.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace dollars IMHO are rendered Less attractive with any type of toning or discolorations.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    Recently returned a coin graded MS66 that had a couple things, a long nick or scratch on the coat and a noticeable spot on the forehead that contradicted with what I believe would be MS66. Truth be, I wouldn't've wanted that coin at any grade! lol A 2nd coin I kept from the same seller left me asking why it didn't grade higher. Has one heck of a strike and markfree.
    On the Op's coin, at first, I questioned the coin and at 10 grand as it's listed in the price guide?? But the coin appears PL and likely a luster-bomb and perhaps a bit of a circ-cam. While some areas appear softly struck, yet the hairlines are visible along the side bangs, an awesome feeling to have those details! I've learned long ago their TV's don't always show the details well on Jeff nickels. It's like day and night once the coin is in hand. I've experienced this on a number of occasions.

Leo

I don’t know what you were looking at. But the coin doesn’t look PL (which is very different from “a luster bomb”) or “perhaps a bit of a circ-cam” ( which is a far cry from an uncirculated coin, much less an MS67).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file