Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question about PCGS Crossover fails

I submitted an NGC coin for crossover last year which failed because of altered surfaces. The coin does have some residue on it and it also has a potential rim issue. It's a 1797 eagle BTW.

Since PCGS only listed altered surfaces, is it safe to assume that (1) they did not consider the rim issue worthy of being detailed AND (2) they considered the coin to not be overgraded?

Or does PCGS treat crossovers like Details slabs where only one problem is listed even if multiple are present?

If PCGS thought the coin was overgraded, would they have mentioned that in addition to the altered surfaces details?

Thanks in advance. I have not emailed these questions to PCGS yet. I thought this might be a quicker route to getting an answer.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the NGC holder didn't mention the altered surfaces, I think that would be the reason that PCGS didn't cross it over.

The grade would be moot if you were looking to cross it to a problem-free holder. I don't think that PCGS would list all of the reasons for not crossing it. But this is just my guess.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, It's the latter. If you have a coin with three problems, they'll usually list one problem. Sometimes, the problem isn't as serious as other problems the coin has. I see "details - scratch" for coins that have multiple surface issues including a small scratch.

Here's an example from my collection. The main problem this coin has is environmental damage that has caused corrosion and micro-pitting all over the coin. The coin was also polished. It was graded by PCGS as "VF Details - cleaned." IMO, it should be "VF Details - environmental damage." Without the polishing, it would still be environmentally damaged to the point that it is ungradable.

Seller's photo -

Trueview - exposes the rough, pitted surfaces - and oddly enough, added some color to it.

3 rim nicks away from Good