Home Q & A Forum
Options

what can someone tell me about this 1943 steel penny cant find anything about it

Answers

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's upside down.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭

Please do not use screen shots, they are too pixilated to see fine detail.
    Also orient your photos the right way, the more you help us, the better we can help you.
    What you have is called Die Deterioration Doubling (DDD) caused by a worn die.
    It is one of the worthless types of doubling and adds no value.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Here is your go to resource for details on the Lincoln DDO/DDR: http://varietyvista.com/index.htm

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 122 ✭✭

From what I know a 1943 steel penny in uncirculated condition (graded MS60 or above) is currently worth from $7 (MS60) to $3,500 (MS68), I'd say that is wort from 10 to .50 cents.
    Oh, and I think Greenstang = Picky ! lolololol

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 7:53AM

Not a matter of being picky. There is a right and wrong way of posting photos on any Coin Forum.
    Would you hang a photo upside down, probably no so why here. It makes it harder to see things
    in the right perspective when they are upside down. As far as screen shots go, they are too pixilated
    to see fine detail properly, especially when you increase the size. Remember, the better and clearer
    the information that we have, the better the information we will be able to relay to you.

( Corrected typo)

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 6:26AM

It does look like a DDO. A better pic of both sides would help In answering your question. I 'm not a great grader but with the wear IMHO, I would say a VG CENT. I would like yo see the reverse. Take the coin to a local coin shop where you can get an in hand assessment. Good luck withe steel cent.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

“It does look like a DDO”
    There are 25 known DDO listings for a 1943 cent and this is not among them.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 1:33PM

@FredJRI said:

From what I know a 1943 steel penny in uncirculated condition (graded MS60 or above) is currently worth from $7 (MS60) to $3,500 (MS68), I'd say that is wort from 10 to .50 cents.

That’s kind of funny honestly, he is totally correct. Pictures matter a lot when used for valuation or grading. Also, this doesn’t match a doubled die that is known as @Greenstang pointed out. It is strike doubling which does not carry a premium/added value. If needed for clarification it’s worth less than $1, sorry for the bad news

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana