Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Been Lookin' for a while for the right one

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 1, 2024 10:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have been working on a Seated Liberty Dollar box of 20 set. I like to buy choice, lower mint state grade examples. I wanted one from every decade that they were made. I have four from the 1840s, three from the 1860s, and two from the 1870s. I was looking for an 1859-O to represent the 1850s. I wanted one in MS 62 or MS 63 and with good eye appeal. I would've liked to have gotten a CAC example, if I could, but they are tough to find. I saw one on another website that I really liked, but besides it’s original color, it had a big fingerprint, so I had to pass.. I stumbled onto this one for a great price. I’m now halfway done with my box of 20!! Also, felt rather blessed to get saint John’s benediction. ;)

Seller’s description:

“The allure of this 1859-O Liberty Seated Dollar is evident. Produced in New Orleans with the intention of export to China, these silver dollars held a significant role in 19th-century trade. However, many also circulated through the trade routes of the southern United States. This specimen was carefully tucked away shortly after minting, likely in a kraft envelope, and has been impeccably preserved ever since. Encased in an older blue, PCGS, no-prong holder, the coin exudes true originality, evident in its pristine surfaces and the absence of marks. A discerning eye might infer that a conservation process at PCGS could result in an elevated grade.”

However, it will never be dipped on my watch!!

Notably, only 142 1859-O Liberty Seated Dollars bear the coveted CAC endorsement, in all grades. Given their scarcity, these coins tend to be swiftly claimed once they hit the market. 

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file