Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First PSA 10 1972 Aaron IA on ebay

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has arrived. Looks pretty deserving too. Back centering not great but I wouldn’t turn it down 😀

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305541132392

Comments

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭

An absolute steal at 140k!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 8:51PM

It sold on BBCE Auction in early April 2024...for a measly $17,000.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what ball park that is.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I know those 1972 In Action cards can be mighty tough.

Daniel
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a fine looking card!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 337 ✭✭✭

$140000? Never going to get anything near that.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Nice card, but I am struggling to see how this card got a 10. Both of the top corners look soft and I think I see an ever so slight tilt when I look at the left side border.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    Nice card, but I am struggling to see how this card got a 10. Both of the top corners look soft and I think I see an ever so slight tilt when I look at the left side border.

I didn't really notice a tilt but thought the back was a little too OC. The standard says 75/25 for centering on the reverse. Maybe it juuuust makes it.

Daniel
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

Yes the centering is a little off.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

Maybe this means it's time to actually send vintage in again since the grading is reasonable?

• Options

Considering who is selling it, the asking price seems to be a bit reduced.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2024 9:21AM

@BBBrkrr said:

@waxman2745 said:

Maybe this means it's time to actually send vintage in again since the grading is reasonable?

The issue is consistency. For the last year I have seen newly overgraded cards on eBay at the same time people here were reporting being hammered.

But I think this card is pretty nice. The scan is so high res that you’ll always find some wear at a corner. I recently bought a card where I saw some tiny corner wear on the eBay scan and when I received the card I literally couldn’t see the wear with my own eyes.

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 10:23AM

@BBBrkrr said:

@waxman2745 said:

after about the last 9-10 months of likely undegrading a rather large percentage of vintage PSA seems to have dialed it in better... just got a 20 card vintage 1970's cards that seemed to be a bit better but still on the low side i feel the 8-9 grade determination seems to be too slanted on the 8 end...no half grades on order...with 30 years experience on vintage cards should have gotten a few more nines...my 3 month ago idea of grader notes on cards to indicate why a card was given a certain grade is now going to be tried out on the express and more expensive tiers and if successful maybe they will roll it out to other tiers...this may help things get to within a 0.5 grade accuracy verses 1-2 grades...just my observation

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never get 1/2 grades either even if the back and front look near perfect.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Those top two corners are not gem mint...

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Is that 25/75 on the back of the card?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 3:52PM

I believe it was the last lot to receive a bid in the Spring BBCE Auction...but once a bid hit, others followed blindly. Now...it will cost a collector/investor 6-figures!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I think the spectacular colors offset any top corner softness. A 10 doesn't mean it has to be perfect. It just means it should fit into the range of what a 10 should be and I definitely think this one does.

I'd love to have it.

• Options

As for tilt, I believe this card is a tiny bit wider on the top than the bottom. So the left border appears a bit uneven, but the right does not.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'ole Sportscardsforever business model. Add an extra zero to what you paid for a card when you list it for sale...

Pay $10 - List for $100
    Pay $100 - List for $1,000
    Pay $1,000 - List for $10,000
    Pay $17,000 - List for $170,000 - Okay, we'll be reasonable here and discount it $30,000.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

Shea?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@Ironmanfan said:

@4Boston said:

Shea?

IMF

That would be my guess. Old Shea green walls and so many of the photos were taken in NY and LA during that era.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@waxman2745 said:

It’s better but still not good.
    I’ve been sending small 20-30 card orders and this is primo stuff. Lots of half grades at least for me. You can’t get a 9 anymore for 50s thru 60s

• Options

@Harnessracing said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@waxman2745 said:

It’s better but still not good.
    I’ve been sending small 20-30 card orders and this is primo stuff. Lots of half grades at least for me. You can’t get a 9 anymore for 50s thru 60s

I've been sitting on about 100 50s, 60s and some 70s that I'm waiting to see some improvement. All HoFers, etc... but can wait as long as I need...

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

For a 10 I want better back centering . Personal preference

I'd rather pay 10% of that price and own a 9 with a much better back

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 139 ✭✭

I have seen multiple 9's in person that I like better.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2024 9:51AM

I've been sitting on about 100 50s, 60s and some 70s that I'm waiting to see some improvement. All HoFers, etc... but can wait as long as I need...

BBB
    Just got more grades on 57-60 Topps
    All 7-9 grades and only 1 half grade on a 57 Duke Snider 7.5
    Did get a 57 Ashburn in 9. That’s a nice one

• Options

@Harnessracing said:

BBB
    Just got more grades on 57-60 Topps
    All 7-9 grades and only 1 half grade on a 57 Duke Snider 7.5
    Did get a 57 Ashburn in 9. That’s a nice one

Good to know. I might have to finish the order and get them down to the OC.

Last ones I subbed came back with waaaay too many 5s and 6s. Ridiculous amount.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2024 5:25PM

I had 2-5s but that’s what they should have been .

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like trying to make 10x what you just spent on this card last month, LOL.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.