Home Precious Metals
Options

Are we still buying on the way down? What's changed if anything?

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, what do you all think? Gold $1800.

Where are the stops other than a strong dollar what's changing.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing has changed. Buyers are reloading their wallets.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though we were at 1300 five years ago, I wouldn’t be surprised if we never saw 1800 again. A drop back to 1800 would seem to require progress on our deficits and an improvement in the global Geo political situation. Both are possible but seem pretty far out. (timewise)

Higashiyama
  • Options

Central banks, who are exchanging US dollars for gold, will likely take advantage of the price drop.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    Even though we were at 1300 five years ago, I wouldn’t be surprised if we never saw 1800 again. A drop back to 1800 would seem to require progress on our deficits and an improvement in the global Geo political situation. Both are possible but seem pretty far out. (timewise)

traders have the "All Is Well" thing stuck in their heads. 1600 wouldn't surprise me. we are the ones preaching deficits and federal debt for all these years. i'm saying what makes you think that is in traders heads now?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

I would not expect a 25% decline.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t want to be in stocks if gold heads towards $1,800.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

tough to fight a guaranteed 5% + 2 year treasury note where the interest paid is exempt from state taxes

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 8:33AM

None of what you all are posting is relevant to the short-term or long-term price of gold.

Treasury yields were HIGHER when the gold price was LOWER -- so all of a sudden it matters ? Nah...more likely profit-taking.

BitCoin and crypto much weaker last few days and in April.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Gold and Silver just did the opposite of what I thought they would. What do you think short covering?
    Fed stayed pat and I figure metals would or will drop.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

the day-to-day moves on gold and silver seem divorced from reactions to stuff like the fed

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    So, Gold and Silver just did the opposite of what I thought they would. What do you think short covering?

Perhaps to the rest of the earth, planet, universe the fed is irrelevant? THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Soldi said:

Perhaps to the rest of the earth, planet, universe the fed is irrelevant? THKS!

Unfortunately, most western economies are at the mercy of the FED. Their central banks are forced to react to FED decisions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unsure of we,they, them or us. But I buy / sell on the down and up. To the left and to the right

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Unsure of we,they, them or us. But I buy / sell on the down and up. To the left and to the right

Same here, but depends on the piece. :p
    Paul has a 10 ounce year of the snake silver in the classified this morning and I had to take a closer look.
    It took a little bit for my eyes to focus and I was wondering if someone else would swoop in and grab it before I did...that happens sometimes.
    It wasn't the bar I was looking for so it's still available... shameless plug :D

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 3:58PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    the day-to-day moves on gold and silver seem divorced from reactions to stuff like the fed

They ALWAYS are. :)

We're down 4% from the ATH and folks react like it was January 1980 with gold getting cut in half in a few weeks. :D

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

They ALWAYS are. :)

We're down 4% from the ATH and folks react like it was January 1980 with gold getting cut in half in a few weeks. :D

I think they are still panicking over the gutter metal, not the metal of kings. Some are at the highs, some are half of what they once were. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 6:02AM

@Soldi said:

I'm thinking the ones who keep thinking about it are still on the other side of the fence. Adding to the stack at a lower cost is better than thinking about it, when there is a price drop.
    Told my ex partners in another business to "let's load up" at $900 per oz. in 2009. Hello ? Who's still thinking about it ? When was gold $1800. ? It's $3200 at the US mint.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

So still a buying opportunity?

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    So still a buying opportunity?

I ordered more today. That's a "yes", if directed to me. Opportunities are more often than not. .

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soldi said:

I think that trading gold with a hair trigger trading mentality is less effective than taking a longer-term fundamental approach.

Cost-average in; cost average out. You won’t be sorry.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.