Home U.S. Coin Forum

I decided to tackle the Kennedy series and started out with this Whitman album

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I wanted a neat challenge and one that isn't too daunting.
I decided to go after the Kennedy half dollar series.

It would certainly be challenging to complete and I suspected it may take several months
to complete.

Ahhh. . . so nice to have this series within this Whitman Classic Kennedy album complete.

On to the next coin project!

:smile:

peacockcoins

Comments

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgrade to including the proofs too. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might I suggest the Susan B. Anthony Dollar, though it is a lot more work.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knocked it out of the park!
    Don’t strain anything lugging all those halves around :wink:

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    Might I suggest the Susan B. Anthony Dollar, though it is a lot more work.

What with the type one and type two proofs for 1979?! My head is spinning. . .

peacockcoins

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

All should be available through Mint and Proof sets, Have Fun collecting that's the name of the Game!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are fun to hunt. This D went 67 along with both quarters.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some old style collecting. Like it. Are you going to do any roll searching in your quest?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

Is the coin in hand the same as the coin in the holder? The FG a looks off to me.

@air4mdc said:

@Coinscratch said:

Is the coin in hand the same as the coin in the holder? The FG a looks off to me.

Yes, it’s the same coin you can match a few marks around Liberty. My cell phone pics never look right (except for color) they are very pixelated.

I think Braddicks point was someone started and finished coin collecting in 1964.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We won't get fooled again". But I did.😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shoulda started this one when they first came out.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@1Bufffan said:
    All should be available through Mint and Proof sets, Have Fun collecting that's the name of the Game!

Thanks, but that album is complete. It is done!

Now, I am thinking of moving on to this Whitman Kennedy album but I've got a feeling one of these four coins will be
    somewhat difficult to locate...

1965-D's will be hard to find. You'd have to find a die variety on the 1964-D kennedy that only was made in 1965 at the Denver mint.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@air4mdc said:

@Coinscratch said:

Yes, it’s the same coin you can match a few marks around Liberty. My cell phone pics never look right (except for color) they are very pixelated.

Thanks for letting me know, looking at the TrueView it is a very nice-looking coin.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last Washington Whitman folder stops in 64, at least the coins do. Same with the Rosies.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@1Bufffan said:

Now, I am thinking of moving on to this Whitman Kennedy album but I've got a feeling one of these four coins will be

You will have to wait for Dan Carr to help out for that album.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@1Bufffan said:

The first album shown in this thread was the first edition printed, with no mintages listed for 1964. The se4cond edition is pictured above, it added the 1965 slots but was printed before the 1964 mintages were available. I picked up copies of both from the David Lawrence estate, the first edition appears to be a press proof as it has signatures and date stamps from the printing house on the inside cover.

One of these days I'll start a thread on the strange variations I have seen in the Whitman Bookshelf albums. There are also cent and dime albums with holes labeled for 1965-D issues, though I have never seen a nickel or quarter book with one. I think Whitman made the call to split those series across multiple books rather than add pages with the later dates.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set ... now is the time to upgrade.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1965-D listing makes me chuckle. I've seen a few folders out there with spots for other fantasy coins like 1966-D and 1967-D.

I've seen two SBA folders with a spot for a 1999-S.

And at one point I held seven Liberty Nickel folders with a spot for the 1913 with a mintage of "5" beneath.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file