Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Really dumb questions regarding PMG & PCGS turnaround times

Regarding posted turnaround times, are they usually spot on? And, are "working days" five a week? Six? Four? Seven?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t submitted in several years, so I can’t speak to the current situation. But, I did hear that previous to large auctions and during the week of major coin/currency shows, the third party graders can run a little behind because of last minute grading for the auction or show.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 8:23PM

@PreTurb said:
    Regarding posted turnaround times, are they usually spot on? And, are "working days" five a week? Six? Four? Seven?

In my experience, PMG is slower than the specified assumed dates. Express is at least 7-8 working days. As Steve mentioned, it is contingent on the workload they have with auctions, etc.
    Honestly, PMG tends to rush through & the quality isn't as high as before. They overlook edge tears, splits. Very few notes get NET grades, and they overuse Choice Fine 15 for any note that appears VG. Submitted notes come back with sizable amounts of thick lint in holders too, which is a pet peeve for me.

However, Legacy Currency Grading and CGA seem to be spot on with return dates. But, both aren't respected as grading companies ala Heritage Auctions or Stacks & Bowers. In fact, notes are considered raw if submitted to PMG or PCGS-B while in CGA or LCG holders.

Ted

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭

PMG has been many days over their estimates recently in my experience. I have 2 submissions sitting there now that are already 10 working days over and have not moved past the "grading" stage yet, I just looked. 3 other submissions from this year were also several days over, even when submitted in the "express" tier.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    PMG has been many days over their estimates recently in my experience. I have 2 submissions sitting there now that are already 10 working days over and have not moved past the "grading" stage yet, I just looked. 3 other submissions from this year were also several days over, even when submitted in the "express" tier.

Same. If you're in absolute rush to get a note back, don't bother with PMG

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals