Home Q & A Forum

Mystery Gold Coin Variety

Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie to this site, but I sure could use some help...I have a 1894 S/S $10 gold coin that was graded by ANACS as a E/F 45. Well, I tell you it's hard enough to find an 1894 S....but with the strong S/S re-punched mint mark is Impossible. I've been three weeks researching this one and Nothing. I'm just trying to help some folks out with an Estate who came across this coin and reached out to me for help. I told them I'd do the Best i can... This seems to be a Rare one....Can anyone give me some info on the value on this one ???...OR steer me in the right direction for someone who may know....Sure would appreciate it !

Comments

• Hi Folks,
    I'm a newbie to this site, but I sure could use some help...I have a 1894 S/S $10 gold coin that was graded by ANACS as a E/F 45. Well, I tell you it's hard enough to find an 1894 S....but with the strong S/S re-punched mint mark is Impossible. I've been three weeks researching this one and Nothing. I'm just trying to help some folks out with an Estate who came across this coin and reached out to me for help. I told them I'd do the Best i can... This seems to be a Rare one....Can anyone give me some info on the value on this one ???...OR steer me in the right direction for someone who may know....Sure would appreciate it !

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 3:08AM

Welcome to the forum
    Would like to see a clear photo of both sides of the coin to be able to help you.

• Hi Folks,

• I've added the pictures to the original post

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 8:16PM

Just checked the Heritage archive for 1894-S $10 listings. The S/S variety sells for the same price as the regular 1894-S and is normally not listed on the holder. It's not rare - I found several within a few minutes of searching.

• MorgyMorgy Posts: 9

Thank you for the reply....
    What kind of price did you come up with? I can't get a good honest answer...

Can I ask where you found the S/S variety?
    I could only find the normal 1894 S

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 10:04AM

He provided all those details in his post above yours. :/

"Just checked the Heritage archive for 1894-S $10 listings. The S/S variety sells for the same price as the regular 1894-S and is normally not listed on the holder. It's not rare - I found several within a few minutes of searching."

I did understand that the S/S is the same price...but, Just curious...What does the 1894 with the plain S go for?
    Thanks...

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgy said:
    I did understand that the S/S is the same price...but, Just curious...What does the 1894 with the plain S go for?
    Thanks...

Since, as @IkesT stated, the label usually does not distinguish between the two varieties, you don't need to look specifically for either type. He also mentioned that Heritage Auctions has an archive of sold examples. I'm not a member of Heritage but I think it's easy to register there as far as I know, so why not sign up and check out their auction archives?

The only thing they showed was one that sold in 2004 ! I think the price has gone up a little...
    Just trying to help out some folks....but this has turned in to a full time job.... :o(

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is presently worth around $1200, give or take a hundred.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.