Home Sports Talk
Options

never thought i'd see the day

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

when traffic on sports talk outpaced cards & memo. and we have what, about 15 regular contributors? lol

simply cannot believe how dead it is across the street. used to be a veritable house party over there. scroll to the bottom of the TC&M page and there are thread creations from over 2 weeks ago. here -- 11 days. 3 threads over there with comments thus far today. here -- 9. crazy.

nothing lasts forever

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Sports Talk!!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is true, but most of the action now for hobby related activity is on social media not message boards and it is rather robust. The card groups on Facebook get a ton of activity all day long.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been living inside the boxing thread for the past month, and will continue to do so. I'm pissed off at myself for not building that thread when Eric was here, I owe it to him, he loved boxing and he never got to learn about so many great fighters. I'll be starting the New York Jets season thread when football season gets closer, gotta follow egghead Rodgers.

• Options

@grote15 said:

That is true, but most of the action now for hobby related activity is on social media not message boards and it is rather robust. The card groups on Facebook get a ton of activity all day long.

Tim i was a member of vintage wax and packs on FB for a spell, and there was (and i assume still is) serious activity in that group. it was a lot of fun, even though i no longer collected unopened. when i completely sold off i left.

2-3 years ago i conducted a drug deal with Chad Davis in an Olive Garden parking lot lol.........good dude

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

The monthly new purchases thread on the cards forum is still very fun to look through. I like to see what everyone is collecting.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that as well recently when a thread about a Craigslist scammer, wasn't getting any new posts for a few days, yet didn't fall down far from the top, maybe around to fifth or sixth place.

Some years ago with the lack of new posts for a few days, any thread would have dropped down near the bottom or on to the second page.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2024 10:20AM

@galaxy27 said:

@grote15 said:

Tim i was a member of vintage wax and packs on FB for a spell, and there was (and i assume still is) serious activity in that group. it was a lot of fun, even though i no longer collected unopened. when i completely sold off i left.

2-3 years ago i conducted a drug deal with Chad Davis in an Olive Garden parking lot lol.........good dude

I do remember that lol...yes, Chad is very reliable...you should come back at some point, it was good seeing you there. The group has swelled to over 17K members now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    The monthly new purchases thread on the cards forum is still very fun to look through. I like to see what everyone is collecting.

hey D....
    Yeah 4 Sure...I'm Totally with ya on the monthly pick-up's... :)

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

reddit gets more action now for sure

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    reddit gets more action now for sure

I sometimes post on Reddit.

i hadn't thought of them for cards, but I'll have to check it out.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I've been living inside the boxing thread for the past month, and will continue to do so. I'm pissed off at myself for not building that thread when Eric was here, I owe it to him, he loved boxing and he never got to learn about so many great fighters. I'll be starting the New York Jets season thread when football season gets closer, gotta follow egghead Rodgers.

The question is will Rodgers make it thru the first game this season?

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, he will make it through the entire season and lose in the first round of the playoffs, keep the faith. 👍

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, he will make it through the entire season and lose in the first round of the playoffs, keep the faith. 👍

Rest assured the Jets will at least finish better than the Patriots in the AFC East. A healthy Rodgers and they've got a decent shot at doing something.

I don't think it's quite sunk in yet with Patriots fans, just how poor of an upcoming season the Patriots are going to have. It could get fat butt ugly.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I don't think it's quite sunk in yet with Patriots fans, just how poor of an upcoming season the Patriots are going to have. It could get fat butt ugly.

Great! I'm cool with another 4-13 season where NE lands the 3rd & 34th overall picks in the 2025 draft. That 3rd pick would land either their stud left tackle for the next 10 years, an elite #1 wide receiver or their could be a trade down where they get a haul of valuable draft picks.

Bill Belichick's replacement as final decision maker in NE had a very good draft yesterday by taking care of the positions that needed talent, that hasn't always been the case in NE over the past 5 years.

I'd love to see them get another draft class of high picks in each round so Lose Away lol.
    Develop your QB behind the scene and rack up those losses. 😉👍

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Great! I'm cool with another 4-13 season where NE lands the 3rd & 34th overall picks in the 2025 draft. That 3rd pick would land either their stud left tackle for the next 10 years, an elite #1 wide receiver or their could be a trade down where they get a haul of valuable draft picks.

Bill Belichick's replacement as final decision maker in NE had a very good draft yesterday by taking care of the positions that needed talent, that hasn't always been the case in NE over the past 5 years.

I'd love to see them get another draft class of high picks in each round so Lose Away lol.

I don't disagree at all with the decision to fire Belichick. It had to be done.

The question is was this the right new head coach hire? I have my doubts. Perhaps I'm wrong but he seems to be a "touchy feely" type coach. That may work with a very specific player. However a football team as a whole, I'm not so sure.

I think Kraft wanted to hire the diametrically opposite of Bill Belichick. He got it. Whether that works or not we shall see.

Andy Reid has been doing the touchy feely thing a bit in Kansas City. My opinion is Kraft saw that, and figured he'd copy it. But Andy Reid is much more experienced and skilled than Jerod Mayo.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

The question is was this the right new head coach hire?

I think that he was. Our defense was very good last year and Mayo grew up in Belichick's defense,he was their quarterback so to speak, for years. He's going to bring the base of what Bill wanted to do on that side of the ball along with his own personal tweaks to it. They're already rebuilding their offense from scratch and it was pointless to do the same on defense.

I think Kraft wanted to hire the diametrically opposite of Bill Belichick.

Oh he got the opposite alright, Fans & media complained for years that Bill kept everything tightlipped and now that Mayo took over they complain that he talks too much.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

will he make it through the first quarter?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

I couldn't agree more. there is SO much activity on both FB and Insta it can be hard to keep up. especially when there is drama going on.

It could be (no, it is) that I am a dinosaur, but I still like the message board format. it seems like on socials that the bulk of messages are 2 or 3 word quick answers or fire emojis. there is very little information that could help collectors learn and grow. I have been a near 40 year collector, and this place has taught me a lot about the hobby. while I do not actively collect it, I feel like I have learned a TON about unopened collecting. It took me awhile, but I actually find it quite interesting at this point.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

will he make it through the first quarter?

Will he make through the first series?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jets win AFC East if he stays healthy

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭

I won't be watching any football again until the Patriots get a quality team and who knows when that will be! I lost interest when they let Brady get away.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

I think that he was. Our defense was very good last year and Mayo grew up in Belichick's defense,he was their quarterback so to speak, for years. He's going to bring the base of what Bill wanted to do on that side of the ball along with his own personal tweaks to it. They're already rebuilding their offense from scratch and it was pointless to do the same on defense.

Oh he got the opposite alright, Fans & media complained for years that Bill kept everything tightlipped and now that Mayo took over they complain that he talks too much.

In my opinion, Mayo would have been much better suited as the defensive coordinator. There's a huge difference between that and head coach, as I'm sure you know. Learn the DC job and then one day progress to a head coach.

Seems like Kraft really personally likes Mayo, and may be willing to give him a few seasons of losing to grow into this head coaching job. Well Mike Singletary couldn't successfully do it, perhaps Mayo can.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2024 9:09AM

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

In my opinion, Mayo would have been much better suited as the defensive coordinator.

He's been running the defense for about 5 years now including a season where they won a SB against the Rams. His official title was LB coach but in reality he was Bill's DC ,its just Bill never outright stated he was. This has been public knowledge in NE for years now.

They can't be any worse than BB's last couple seasons here and they've already improved the QB/WR/OL units
    tremendously. Mayo will be just fine.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

In my opinion, Mayo would have been much better suited as the defensive coordinator.

He's been running the defense for about 5 years now including a season where they won a SB against the Rams. His official title was LB coach but in reality he was Bill's DC ,its just Bill never outright stated he was. This has been public knowledge in NE for years now.

They can't be any worse than BB's last couple seasons here and they've already improved the QB/WR/OL units

Pasted: New England Patriots Under 4.5 Wins In 2024 (-105 odds at DraftKings)

Well, the bookies are saying the Patriots record will be about the same as last season. Although I'm not sure of the exact date of those odds. I pasted it from google and the odds may have been from before the draft.

In any event, as we all know, the bookies aren't always right. 😉

• Options

@grote15 said:

I do remember that lol...yes, Chad is very reliable...you should come back at some point, it was good seeing you there. The group has swelled to over 17K members now.

i may have to do that. my only reservation is seeing the current market value of items i once owned............that's information i could live without for the rest of my life lol.

how's Mike doing? one of my all-time fav people

• Options

Not suprised sports forum is more active than the coin ones. The coin forum only seems to get active when someone posts Vault Box releases.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Well, the bookies are saying the Patriots record will be about the same as last season. Although I'm not sure of the exact date of those odds. I pasted it from google and the odds may have been from before the draft.

Those same bookies gave these odds for the NBA championship back in the preseason:
    Team Odds
    Boston Celtics +450
    Denver Nuggets +450
    Phoenix Suns +600 just got swept in R1
    Milwaukee Bucks +600 currently down 1-3 in R1
    Golden State Warriors +1200 didn't even make the playoffs
    Los Angeles Lakers +1500 currently down 1-3 in R1

I don't place bets and I could not care less about what the bookies think lol.

Jerod Mayo is in a good spot to try turning around their fortunes in 2024. No one is expecting miracles but they now have their young QB to develop and build around, they have a great defense and they're going to have a ton of cap space over the next 2 seasons. There's actually some hope with this franchise after how bad they've looked in 2021-23.

If you want to prolong this Pats convo let's take it over to the Pats thread instead.

• Options

I don't use Twitter anymore, can't stand Elon Musk.

• Options

Don't you mean "Formerly Twitter"

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    Don't you mean "Formerly Twitter"

Yes, correction, I don't use "X" anymore. Ridiculous name change!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Those same bookies gave these odds for the NBA championship back in the preseason:
    Team Odds
    Boston Celtics +450
    Denver Nuggets +450
    Phoenix Suns +600 just got swept in R1
    Milwaukee Bucks +600 currently down 1-3 in R1
    Golden State Warriors +1200 didn't even make the playoffs
    Los Angeles Lakers +1500 currently down 1-3 in R1

I don't place bets and I could not care less about what the bookies think lol.

Jerod Mayo is in a good spot to try turning around their fortunes in 2024. No one is expecting miracles but they now have their young QB to develop and build around, they have a great defense and they're going to have a ton of cap space over the next 2 seasons. There's actually some hope with this franchise after how bad they've looked in 2021-23.

If you want to prolong this Pats convo let's take it over to the Pats thread instead.

Seems to be trending toward a Nuggets/Celtics final. Thunder could sneak in there is the only upsetter I see.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

"Yes, correction, I don't use "X" anymore. Ridiculous name change!"

Imagine spending $44,000,000,000 on a website and immediately changing its name to something so stupid people refuse to say it. He claims to have lost half of that $44 billion and I believe him.
    Formerly Twitter is the fastest I've ever seen a utility collapse. It's a valueless corporation now and it's all self-inflicted.

• Options

Imagine spending $44,000,000,000 on a website and immediately changing its name to something so stupid people refuse to say it. He claims to have lost half of that $44 billion and I believe him.
    Formerly Twitter is the fastest I've ever seen a utility collapse. It's a valueless corporation now and it's all self-inflicted.

I still can't believe Musk ditched the iconic Twitter Bird logo, that logo was a tribute to Larry Bird, Twitter co-founder Biz Stone grew up in Boston and was a Celtics fan when Bird was playing. I can't stand Musk, just the sight of him makes me sick.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

If you don't know the backstory on "X", read about Elon and X.com. His vision hasn't changed. It's probably insane, but unwavering. He's an interesting dude.

• Options

Yea the X thing is predictable. He named his Tesla models "Sexy" with model S, Model 3, Model X and Y. He isn't really clever, but he thinks he is.

I wouldn't let him make you upset, doubledragon. We are going to get a decade of "Musk, the legacy of a druggie idiot continues." news going forward. The High-tech savior illusion has been shattered. His reputation is in ruin, his legacy is in ruin. We aren't going to be seeing any more sycophantic fluff pieces claiming he doesn't own a house and lives in a tent because he's a genius.
    His 15 minutes of being worshipped are over.

• Options

I found an old pic of Elon Musk batting at home plate, although it's unverified. It may not be him.

• Options

The TC & M forum thrived when it had so many unique personalities. Some of the old guard posting was the best entertainment I ever found in this place. I miss it. We all gotta grow up sometime, I suppose.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.