Home U.S. Coin Forum

Walter Magnus RIP

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to pass along the news that Walter Magnus passed away today…. He was a good friend to me over the years and it’s always with great sorry to lose one of the old time players in the industry!
Walter may you continue to watch over us from your spot up there!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

Sorry about Walter. I can remember him over the years at the Long Beach and Santa Clara shows, among others.

RIP Walter.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! I just thought about him yesterday! He used to come by our shop (Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.) two or three times a year and go through stuff we had bought in over the counter. I used to save a lot of it for him rough sorted to make it easier for him to go through.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Walter's favorite saying:

http://worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-roz1.htm

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences 🙏

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Walter at many shows, nice guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family and friends.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walter was one of my longest time friends on the show circuit - I most recently talked to him at FUN and the St. Louis show. He always had a rubber banded stack of tokens set back for me and about a year ago sold me his personal "set-back" exonumia and oddities from his years of dealing. It will be a somber Central States next week as CSNS was always one of his favorite shows. I will miss him.

My deepest condolences to Kay and the family

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Walt from the 2004 Milwaukee show. He collected holed coins and had a box of a hundred or so that he had just picked up from another dealer, minors. I wish I could have bought some of them. I still need quite a few for my collection, RIP, Walt. I wonder if he sold them.

Any word on the cause of death?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Walter Magnus :'(

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many visits to my shop. Reliable, personable, great guy. :)

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to Walter's family and his friends here on this board. May he RIP!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file