Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage PINBACK BUTTONS

HCHC Posts: 105 ✭✭

What a total disappointment PSA is. I met with multiple PSA reps at shows within the last year explaining that there is a serious issue with PSA's grading of buttons (pins, pinbacks). All was shown and everyone was in agreement that this is a problem. I was assured that PSA would reach out to me. NEVER DID. I called multiple times, I provided images, brought the original slabbed pins to shows, etc. The convex nature of the pins has made many buttons touch the layer of the holder plastic. Fear of the litho images pulling off, damaging, etc. I even asked for a refund of the submission fees, at the very least, because fees to grade buttons is really high. Don't go there though. PSA seems that it is all about the money. Forget integrity. Forget loyalty. I am stuck with problem pins now that PSA caused. I cannot offer these for sale without advising of the problems. But PSA didn't hesitate to take my $50 per pin and make me wait 4 months to get them. BEWARE Collectors. Time to find other certification companies that need support. PSA seems to have gotten too big for their britches.

Comments

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

You’re not wrong. It doesn’t appear to be a well run company.

They also operate in a luxury market with subjective standards. Their success is the outcome of the need for “better than nothing” authentication and a lack of competent competition.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2024 12:02PM

Since the treatment I received all of last year, I have discontinued any submissions. I'm not a whale but I did run tabs of about $5,000. So surprising that they let all of this happen. Be Careful BUTTON Collectors. Look closely at your slabs. Is the top of the button front touching the holder? Probably. I wouldn't want any of those.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Numerous problems have been reported with the pins shifting in the holders and the holders can have moisture issues. The best solution for pins is don't put them in a holder.

• Options

Moisture was certainly a fear. And then the lithos peeling off because of that. But certainly, I thought that PSA would have done their due diligence before allowing encapsulation. Given that they have not, you would then think that they would cease offering the service and refund the fees to those who request it. But they have gone dark. I have spent hours asking for help, but after the initial pleasant promises, no one would follow through.

• Options

Tweet at them or something. They are in bad press mgmt mode. Squeaky wheel.

• Options

I have already spent numerous hours (e-mailing, imaging, texting, calling, speaking) with the PSA people there who could have properly dealt with this and no resolution at all. Not even an offer or anything was provided to me. I was hoping that sharing this with others might shake them into action. PSA will likely go the way of others. Collectors will continue to question their integrity, which will likely lead to people wanting other grading companies taking the helm. Wash, rinse, repeat. PSA seems to be on the way down. The people at the top have made their money, and the underlings seem incapable to managing.

• Options

In the end, all that I wanted, was my valuable collectibles graded and encapsulated. That's all. What I have ended up with is hundreds of dollars of fees and potential harm to my submitted items. I expected that once they were aware of the problems I brought forth, they might have modified and/or corrected their process. If they were unable to do that, refund my fees so I could break out my items so further issues or damage would not occur.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HC said:
    In the end, all that I wanted, was my valuable collectibles graded and encapsulated. That's all. What I have ended up with is hundreds of dollars of fees and potential harm to my submitted items. I expected that once they were aware of the problems I brought forth, they might have modified and/or corrected their process. If they were unable to do that, refund my fees so I could break out my items so further issues or damage would not occur.

I wasted my time arguing with psa in the past, nothing you have posted surprises me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Drag them in public and they are more likely to do something.

This company is dressing for the dance. Volume, subscriptions, and press.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect your thread is limited to Sports? I enjoy pin backs- I am more interested in politicals, but I like sports pin backs as well. Just a couple of observations-

Sports cards and coins seem to have a market that has been established over time and condition rarity has grown as part of that market. Pin backs obviously vary in price and there is greater demand for excellent to near mint examples, but I doubt that difference in a grade between 6 and 10 in a pin back would be as great as it is for a card. Maybe in part it is due to demand. I am doubtful that pin backs will follow in the same path as sports cards in terms of price escalations based on condition rarity. I won't bother citing examples.

I see pin backs as more interactive and really served a different purpose than cards. I doubt that I would have my pin backs graded.

I do share your concern as to long term storage. And I agree that the plastic of the slab coming into contact with an older litho surface that is somewhat fragile should be of concern to everyone.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry it's a sunk money cost for you, but don't put good money after bad -- no more button grading. FWIW, I'd just bust out the problematic graded examples and keep them raw.