Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What brand of safe for coin storage?

2»

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read your agreement about a banks responsibility in the event about ....etc...????? many events, even employee negligence... many banks are protected ONLY by 2x6 walls...
    read it all.... and understand it...
    it does not matter how "valuable" a customer you are......
    A friend of mine used old munition boxes and buried them.....and a gps tracker.
    good luck
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@Tramp said:
    Hugh Wood Insurance

National 50 gun safe@ 1500 lbs bolted to floor; Dehumidifier rod and is 2.5 hour at 131,000 BTU.

Locate in discrete or hidden location furthest distance away from easy access point or egress.

1500 LBS ? may rules out most second story placements :(

Even at ~500lbs that would rule out most second story placements. When I bought mine, the delivery guys said the at under no circumstances do they deliver a large safe to a second floor.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy with my American Security safe, bolted to a concrete floor.
    Not inexpensive, I believe about $2500 installed.

Vplite99
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

Do not get a small safe. A large one takes up just as much floor space and can't be picked up and carried off.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a system that helps when you are away from home and need to know what is going on. The one I purchased is wireless (the app tells you each battery life so you know when to charge) and it notifies me, works in the dark and is relatively cheap. Two on the front of the house (door and garage) and one on the backyard.
    I went wireless, even though its a hassle to charge every now and then, to prevent them not working in a power outage.
    Your camera will record so no need for recorder in home.
    bob
    https://www.lorex.com/products/lorex-2k-wire-free-security-system-with-battery-operated-cameras-and-2k-wi-fi-video-doorbell?variant=41567433490582

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1200 pound AMSEC that stands about 40” high, maybe 28”x28” footprint and it seems very “safe”.

Any safe can be opened by a thief pointing a gun at your or your loved one’s head.

That said, my coins spend their nights in a SDB at the bank. I try not to keep anything in there I can’t afford to hand over willingly.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I've got a medium size gun safe (~400 lbs empty) that's UL fire-rated to 45 minutes. It's bolted to the floor to make it more difficult to remove, but I'm under no illusion that a determined thief with an angle grinder, a dozen cut-off wheels, and a bit of time wouldn't be able to break into it... they'd just make a heck of a lot of noise doing it.

It’s important that the intruder doesn’t have too much time on his/ her hands once inside. That’s where an alarm system comes in play. Once it’s triggered the intruder knows it’s only a matter of time before the law shows up. I would do both, a wireless and a wired alarm system if it were me. Cameras that detect motion, sound and people once they are spotted that send notifications via an email or text are an extra blanket of security. Nest indoor cameras are great when away from home. Just plug them in and put them on your doors, hallways or even on the safe. No pun intended, but you can never be too “safe.”

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Even at ~500lbs that would rule out most second story placements. When I bought mine, the delivery guys said the at under no circumstances do they deliver a large safe to a second floor.

I have a 1200 lb AmSec on the second floor, the lock shop I bought it from had some sort of stair-climber platform that slooooowly walked it up the stairs. They took measurements of the floor joists and positioned it just so... I was a bit apprehensive but it's been there for several years now without a problem.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@lkenefic said:
    I've got a medium size gun safe (~400 lbs empty) that's UL fire-rated to 45 minutes. It's bolted to the floor to make it more difficult to remove, but I'm under no illusion that a determined thief with an angle grinder, a dozen cut-off wheels, and a bit of time wouldn't be able to break into it... they'd just make a heck of a lot of noise doing it.

It’s important that the intruder doesn’t have too much time on his/ her hands once inside. That’s where an alarm system comes in play. Once it’s triggered the intruder knows it’s only a matter of time before the law shows up. I would do both, a wireless and a wired alarm system if it were me. Cameras that detect motion, sound and people once they are spotted that send notifications via an email or text are an extra blanket of security. Nest indoor cameras are great when away from home. Just plug them in and put them on your doors, hallways or even on the safe. No pun intended, but you can never be too “safe.”

The first thing a smart intruder would do is cut your internet (on the outside of the house).

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

The first thing a smart intruder would do is cut your internet (on the outside of the house).

That is a safe assumption. That’s why your cameras and security system should not be reliant on house power or internet. Mine will transmit through the cell towers even when there is no internet or power.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    This is my “safe”.

Belgian Malinois?

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@AlanSki said:
    This is my “safe”.

Belgian Malinois?

Yes. He is overly protective of my home and everyone in it.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@retirednow said:

@Tramp said:
    Hugh Wood Insurance

National 50 gun safe@ 1500 lbs bolted to floor; Dehumidifier rod and is 2.5 hour at 131,000 BTU.

Locate in discrete or hidden location furthest distance away from easy access point or egress.

interesting ... I had a 9ft slate pool slate pool table ( I think it weights about 900lbs ) in my second story game room. Builder said it would be acceptable and the moving company that specialized in moving pool tables also said "No Problem" So 14 years later it is still on the 2nd floor -- and not in the kitchen right below it :) - maybe because that would equate to about 250 pounds per leg as a concentrated load?

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@retirednow said:

@Tramp said:
    Hugh Wood Insurance

interesting ... I had a 9ft slate pool slate pool table ( I think it weights about 900lbs ) in my second story game room. Builder said it would be acceptable and the moving company that specialized in moving pool tables also said "No Problem" So 14 years later it is still on the 2nd floor -- and not in the kitchen right below it :) - maybe because that would equate to about 250 pounds per leg as a concentrated load?

I think its more of a liability concern for the employees getting hurt, or possibly damaging my stair treads on the way up. Pool tables can be broken down, and many have a 3 piece slate thats fairly manageable once dissasembled. I think with a safe, the most they could do is possibly take the door off, but theres not much you can do in terms of dissasembly.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@pruebas said:

@air4mdc said:

@lkenefic said:

That’s why you have a secondary back up alarm system that is hard wired system on a battery back-up if power is dropped. But this is all mute, because the cameras have already sent notifications that someone is on the property and the home owner has taken appropriate action, home or away.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:

@pruebas said:

That is a safe assumption. That’s why your cameras and security system should not be reliant on house power or internet. Mine will transmit through the cell towers even when there is no internet or power.

@Downtown1974 said:

@pruebas said:

I sure wouldn’t rely on cell service. Storms? Mother Nature? Hackers? Just last month for some unknown reason half of Verizon’s customer base didn’t have cell service for half a day or more. I knew many people affected in several states. The World News aired a story about the event. I keep a land-line for added security.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘Smart intruder’? Is that like ‘plastic silverware'? 🤔

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 6:16AM

if someone points a gun at me and my family, I'm telling the robber he's only getting in over my wife's dead body

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file