Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

55/55 DDO raw and in the wild - thoughts?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friend called me today, as he was going through deceased father's stuff. He found a 55 DDO lincoln and sent me quick pics. It's out to PCGS for grading from what he told me.

Wondering what folks think...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Was it identified as such in the collection?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ask him to look for the die scratches on the T ? Based on the first image I would have said no. The last two make me suspicious of how well struck pluribus unum is and how poorly struck the e is in the same motto. Your suggestion to send it in was good advice.

• Options

It's not in his hands right now so the photos he took previously are all I could get.

And, I think it wasn't really part of a collection. Just in with stuff his father had. His father had some older canadian notes and foreign coins, that I helped him sell late last year when I set up at a coin show. This was just discovered recently.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

And, I didn't want to color anyone's views, but I wasn't too positive, and less so when I saw the reverse pic...

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guy came in shop couple weeks ago, had one it was in an old scratched up plastic 2x2 I couldnt quite see the Line at T, but I believe it was there. Looked genuine, probably a 58 . Guy wouldn't let me take it out of holder, so I said, if you wont let me take it out for a closer look am not intrested.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. 58 sounds about right. Don't know how many were minted but it makes you wonder how many raw ones are still out there in collections compared to the total number of graded ones.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    Guy came in shop couple weeks ago, had one it was in an old scratched up plastic 2x2 I couldnt quite see the Line at T, but I believe it was there. Looked genuine, probably a 58 . Guy wouldn't let me take it out of holder, so I said, if you wont let me take it out for a closer look am not intrested.

Jim, I forget where you are...are you in FL?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't an obvious modern counterfeit, Lincoln has the correct expression on his face and the surfaces look pretty good. Definitely worth submitting for grading, and I think your friend would be very pleased with the results.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it could benefit from an acetone bath.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everytime I see one of those it makes me want one.

I also check prices and see they are going up just about month by month.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

A strong AU 50+ coin, to me. I'd guess AU50 BN seeing the hidden luster. I just sent one in and I know it will be questionable color and probably XF details. It looks good to me, but my success rate on 55/55s is 0 for 2, so far.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file