Home U.S. Coin Forum

CACG vs. NGC and PCGS submissions

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 23, 2024 2:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Was wondering how fellow collectors feel about the "new" grading service CACG. Are any regular submitters planning to change some or most of their future submissions form ngc.pcgs to cacg? Comments would be appreciated as I am contemplating send some coins to CACG in the near future.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Best Answers

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I crossed a number of stickered coins to CACG. The turnaround was about 10 days including mail time. I haven’t tried to cross unstickered coins or submit raw coins, but given the turnaround time I experienced, I will definitely use CACG rather than wait a month or more for my coins.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sticking with PCGS since that is where my registry sets are. Also I'm not a member of CAC so there's that.

Collector, occasional seller

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only submitted raw coins to CACG, I was very happy with my results as they for the most part were right in line with my expectations. I am not a dealer nor do I sell often thus I don't do the crossover game at all, I have some raw morgans that I plan to submit to CACG and plan for the most part to use CACG for raw coins in the future.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will cross NGC CAC coins to CACG. Otherwise, I prefer submitting to PCGS.

• dennis5151dennis5151 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

just adds another layer of ???? to collecting. I am thinking cost, confusion, and crossover opportunity.

Of course, my cross over experience with PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG has not worked out. For example. one test of the same PCGS 67 + went to a 67 at NGC, ANACS, and ICG.
    My NGC AU58 went to 55 at ANACS. Another NGC AU58 went straight across to ANACS 58.

Any luck on going up at this new CACG?

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 1:30PM Answer ✓

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I’m not planning on crossing any of my PCGS coin, but the next set I embark on will likely be CACG. The main reason is that I have lost confidence in the TrueView product.

I hope they're reading this.

PCGS may end up having the fastest turnaround times ever if they keep charging $5 for Trueview while serving up "pumpkin pie."

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 8:27PM Answer ✓

@ChrisH821 said:
    I'm sticking with PCGS since that is where my registry sets are. Also I'm not a member of CAC so there's that.

FYI,

1. CACG now has a growing Registry. They accept coins for their Registries graded by PCGS and NGC. They actually have two categories of Registries. The less strict one accepts coins in any combination of PCGS, NGC, or CACG holders, and the coins can have no CAC sticker, or be stickered. They call this the “Universal “ Registry. Their stricter Registry still takes coins in those three TPG holders, but those in PCGS and NGC holders must be stickered. This is the “CAC Only” Registry. While 100% of my coins are graded by PCGS, I fully partake in the PCGS Registry AND the two CACG Registries.
    2. They now have a “CAC Grading Club”, similar in some ways to the PCGS Collector Membership. Everything is prorated for a calendar year. While the annual fee is $99, you get $50 in annual grading credit, as well as the Greysheet CAC quarterly publication, a $65 dollar value. That’s really a great deal! This gives you IMMEDIATE full submission grading privileges with CACG, but NOT CAC stickering submission privileges at their NJ facility. For stickering, you just request to be added to the short waiting list.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

All US eligible coins I have for TPG submission from hereon will go to CACG. I fully agree with their approach to grading, they are quick for return, and I believe that over the long run, coins in their holder will have more value.

I submitted 6 to them yesterday at CSNS.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 6:29AM Answer ✓

I will submit to and buy PCGS and NGC only for me.

I may purchase a CACG already graded coin But only if it is unique and hard to find and not astronomically priced.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Answers

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picking opportunities aside...

Sticking with PCGS for subs and crossovers.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 4:22PM

Not a CAC or CACG submitter.

But Buy some CACG stuff now and then.

Coins & Currency
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I’m not planning on crossing any of my PCGS coin, but the next set I embark on will likely be CACG. The main reason is that I have lost confidence in the TrueView product.

PCGS may end up having the fastest turnaround times ever if they keep charging $20 for Trueview while serving up "pumpkin pie."

TrueViews are only $5, or included at no extra cost with submissions above economy or modern.
    https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

Collector, occasional seller

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Barberian said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

PCGS may end up having the fastest turnaround times ever if they keep charging $20 for Trueview while serving up "pumpkin pie."

TrueViews are only $5, or included at no extra cost with submissions above economy or modern.
    https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

Oops. I confused it with attributions. I'll edit it. Thanks for the correction.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file