Options

IMPORTANT Tip for Collectors!

13»

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

So silly (in so many ways, lol).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, thanks for reminding us of this excellent point. At shows sometimes the wheeling and dealing can get pretty fast, and it always pays to do one's due diligence!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 256 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven offered a practical tip here, encouraging people to help stop an act of deception (or at minimum, a mistake) that can significantly affect the market value of coins. Then some people took the thread into a debate about stickers vs no stickers.

My two cents: when I buy a thing on Amazon, I count the stars and read the reviews. When I want to choose a movie, I check IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes for their rating. (I used to check Siskel and Ebert - remember them? - and I learned where I shared tastes and opinions with them, weighting some of their advice differently). New restaurant? I check Yelp or Google reviews. Book? I've got a Goodreads account.

A CAC sticker means that someone (whose opinion I happen to value) has looked at a coin IN HAND that I've only been able to see digital photos of and found that it meets high standards. That doesn't mean I love every CAC coin any more than I love every movie certified "Fresh." But it's USEFUL information. Oh, and the market has demonstrated that it values the CAC sticker (and slab) significantly. This is just reality. Longing for the days before CAC (or before plastic slabs, or before the automobile, or before the discovery of fire) is not productive.

I'm not here to debate anyone. I love the diversity of thought. I just hate to see the meanness coming out.

PS. Those of you who are super graders, I have a friendly tip: use your skills to select good unstickered coins. Spend $25 to send them for stickers. See value in the hundreds (sometimes thousands!) of dollars materialize. Sell at profit. Buy your kid a mountain bike.

PPS. Love you guys! :smiley:

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    edited April 26, 2024 7:31AM

@skier07 said:
    This thread is derailed so i> @Walkerlover said:

@Crypto said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

@winesteven said:

@FrankH said:

@291fifth said:
    The sooner stickers disappear from the hobby the better.

or

The sooner stickers disappear, coins may be a true hobby again.

:o

Believe it or not, for many of us, CAC stickering has made the hobby BETTER AND more fun!

Steve

More collectors have had the liquidity of their collections impacted by not having sticker than have benefited from a god level grader cherry picking the market preference out of the masses. Yes the 1% buyers out there have saved from not making as many mistakes but even then they paid a price by not having the lessons trust upon them those mistakes mandate to the quick to learn. Maybe one doesn’t want to live and learn but the hobby is about living and learning and not just competition or investing.

I say this as a fan of CAC but it is a marketing tool that has benefited dealers way more than collectors. Just those of us used to be able to pick A coins out of the masses and get them for retail has dramatically dried up. Combined with the ability to sell C coins for competitive % of retail is also now an uphill battle. Those are not collector benefits

Why is it not a collector benefit for them to be able to avoid the C coins that you appear to want to sell them?

CAC benefits collectors far more than dealers.

You have never sold anything but A+ coins. I would bet more than you could afford that you have sold more meh coins than I have ever owned. I am not a dealer and learned to grade over many speed bumps. Besides what I collect, many issues are simply not out there with A+ levels of preservation since they have been collectible for generations and having been processed by too many transactions not to have been fiddled with. Fresh is market slang meaning that it hasn’t been through too many dealers hands after all.

The whole construct that patina as a trait that deserves a price multiplier due to increased rarity is an attrition metric and any dealer knowns imparting scarcity is the key to adding value post procurement. Just as FBLs is a marketing schtick meant to impart scarcity/superiority to add value to otherwise common stuff. CAC is a pay more identifier in a market that the vast majority is simply trying to get their widgets to stand out. That helps dealers charge 50$ more for a nicely graded 81s dollar, I don’t think it adds much value to a choice AU58 61d dollar.

Of course CAC has helped pull some problems out of the market and a few collectors with the means have used it as a invaluable learning tool, but looked at on a pure number transactions base it has been used by dealers to maximize their inventory as a value add to charge more for other wise the same coins. Paying more for some random dealers 81s isn’t some blessing to collectors. And while paying 50$ more for a not bad 81s might be preferable to many newbs opposed to paying retail for an overgraded example, there were plenty of not bad 81s transacted before CAC. The detriment CAC has brought to collectors is the bad ones are still priced now closer to CAC’ed levels at the middle of the market and the collector’s good 81s not stickered is assumed bad or at best needing grading. Also not a blessing to collectors.

@Crypto said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

@winesteven said:

@FrankH said:

@291fifth said:

or

Believe it or not, for many of us, CAC stickering has made the hobby BETTER AND more fun!

Steve

More collectors have had the liquidity of their collections impacted by not having sticker than have benefited from a god level grader cherry picking the market preference out of the masses. Yes the 1% buyers out there have saved from not making as many mistakes but even then they paid a price by not having the lessons trust upon them those mistakes mandate to the quick to learn. Maybe one doesn’t want to live and learn but the hobby is about living and learning and not just competition or investing.

I say this as a fan of CAC but it is a marketing tool that has benefited dealers way more than collectors. Just those of us used to be able to pick A coins out of the masses and get them for retail has dramatically dried up. Combined with the ability to sell C coins for competitive % of retail is also now an uphill battle. Those are not collector benefits

Why is it not a collector benefit for them to be able to avoid the C coins that you appear to want to sell them?

You have never sold anything but A+ coins. I would bet more than you could afford that you have sold more meh coins than I have ever owned. I am not a dealer and learned to grade over many speed bumps. Besides what I collect, many issues are simply not out there with A+ levels of preservation since they have been collectible for generations and having been processed by too many transactions not to have been fiddled with. Fresh is market slang meaning that it hasn’t been through too many dealers hands after all.

The whole construct that patina as a trait that deserves a price multiplier due to increased rarity is an attrition metric and any dealer knowns imparting scarcity is the key to adding value post procurement. Just as FBLs is a marketing schtick meant to impart scarcity/superiority to add value to otherwise common stuff. CAC is a pay more identifier in a market that the vast majority is simply trying to get their widgets to stand out. That helps dealers charge 50$ more for a nicely graded 81s dollar, I don’t think it adds much value to a choice AU58 61d dollar.

Of course CAC has helped pull some problems out of the market and a few collectors with the means have used it as a invaluable learning tool, but looked at on a pure number transactions base it has been used by dealers to maximize their inventory as a value add to charge more for other wise the same coins. Paying more for some random dealers 81s isn’t some blessing to collectors. And while paying 50$ more for a not bad 81s might be preferable to many newbs opposed to paying retail for an overgraded example, there were plenty of not bad 81s transacted before CAC. The detriment CAC has brought to collectors is the bad ones are still priced now closer to CAC’ed levels at the middle of the market and the collector’s good 81s not stickered is assumed bad or at best needing grading. Also not a blessing to collectors.

I see many NON CAC coins on GC go for high prices. And some CAC coins not bringing much premiums as well.

There are always going to be outliers but in general higher priced coins with a sticker sell for more money than non stickered coins.

I agree!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

There are always going to be outliers but in general higher priced coins with a sticker sell for more money than non stickered coins.

Gotta love those outliners!

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    This thread is derailed so i> @Walkerlover said:

@Crypto said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

@winesteven said:

@FrankH said:

@291fifth said:

or

Steve

@Crypto said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

@winesteven said:

@FrankH said:

@291fifth said:

or

Steve

I see many NON CAC coins on GC go for high prices. And some CAC coins not bringing much premiums as well.

My main point is that the lack of a CAC sticker hasn’t deterred collectors from bidding strongly on NON CAC expensive coins. But I do agree CAC coins do better overall.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek said:
    I'm not here to debate anyone. I love the diversity of thought.

This thread has such a great teaching moment in it, and almost nobody wants to recognize it. The idea is this guy buys the coin, thinks it looks great, has the cac sticker, fits perfectly with all the other like coins in his set. Later comes to find out the sticker is no good, but the grade/slab is good. Guy then wants to immediately get rid of the coin and buy another. The lesson is what makes this coin subpar for cac to not want to sticker it, and how does it differ from all the other coins in his set? What qualities did he see in the original coin to make him want to originally buy it, and what negative features are ultimately present that he now recognizes after cac refused to sticker it?

Not 1 person has asked to see the original coin and to see the new coin purchased to understand the difference between an exact graded coin with and without a sticker. That’s the grading lesson that almost everyone would benefit from, and instead the minority gets attacked for thinking we hate cac and think we’re know it alls.

Sometimes I think this forum would benefit more if it would think outside the box once in a while.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the OP and other bidders being duped driving up the price.

If there is one sticker, there are hundreds that have been removed.

If you don't believe me, y'all have not been paying attention to what has been happening in the sports card market with trimming card doctors.

This was a simple con or SNAD and OP deserved a refund.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I would like to have some NGC and PCGS slabs stickered but there is no dealer within 200 miles of me. I mostly buy through Heritage and some through GC for my nicer stuff, perhaps they offer it as a service after the sale, but then again that could just be too much of a hassle for them with their current volume of just auction work.

• Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

It sounds like HA does not verify CAC sticker status prior to listing. Do any of the auction houses do this for their listings or does CAC verification always fall on the bidder?

• Options

@Slade01 said:
    I would like to have some NGC and PCGS slabs stickered but there is no dealer within 200 miles of me. I mostly buy through Heritage and some through GC for my nicer stuff, perhaps they offer it as a service after the sale, but then again that could just be too much of a hassle for them with their current volume of just auction work.

I suggest you sign up for their CAC stickering Wait List. It seems like several hundred from that list got submitter status over the past 8 months or so.

In the meantime, there may be a local coin club where a friend who has submitting privileges can submit for you.

Don’t give up!

Steve

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Slade01 said:

I suggest you sign up for their CAC stickering Wait List. It seems like several hundred from that list got submitter status over the past 8 months or so.

In the meantime, there may be a local coin club where a friend who has submitting privileges can submit for you.

Don’t give up!

Steve

You can actually jump the queue and buy a membership.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2024 7:24PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@Slade01 said:

Don’t give up!

Steve

The new CAC Membership (which is a great deal - $50 in credits, and a subscription to the Greysheet CAC quarterly publication) only grants submission privileges for grading, NOT for stickering.

Steve

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Slade01 said:

Don’t give up!

Steve

This. I joined the waiting list too and got approved a few months back. Planning on dropping off a stickering sub at CSNS.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@Slade01 said:

Don’t give up!

Steve

The new CAC Membership (which is a great deal - $50 in credits, and a subscription to the Greysheet CAC quarterly publication) only grants submission privileges for grading, NOT for stickering.

Steve

Oh, that's right.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve,
    I greatly appreciate the kind service announcement. It made me go check my inventory to ensure I had no stickered coins that aren't in the CAC database.

Ignore the haters. It's refreshing to see a collector willing to admit he doesn't grade as well as people that have been doing it for a living for decades.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 8:22PM

I just have some new stuff that I would like to test for stickering, it looks good but I'd like to on the better stuff like 55 Lincoln DDO MS63BN, and some others that are above $2-3K just for marketability if nothing else.

I buy a lot of already stickered stuff but only have one slabbed CAC Lincoln, an inexpensive 1913 MS64RB that I'll probably keep as a novelty for now but I already have a really nice toned PCGS 65BN that works better with the set.

I like the more common dates in 65BN with great toning before 1932 and everything 66/67 red forward to 1958D and all the newer DDO/DDR and the older keys in red as high as I can convince myself to spend although I do like a nice brown toner in those too sometimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file