Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2025 Liberty Gold High Relief

Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened to come across this by chance.
Proposed designs for the obverse and reverse.
https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2025-american-liberty-gold-coin-silver-medal-obverse
https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2025-american-liberty-gold-coin-silver-medal-reverse

I like these two obverse candidates the best.

Gotta admit, some designs are not very good in my opinion. Some too cartoony, like it came off of a show on Cartoon Network 20+ years ago.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Comments

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2024 7:35AM

I like the 20-C design of the figurehead at the prow of a sailing ship below the bowsprit.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did the mint raise the denomination from $50 to $100?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

The high relief program has always been $100

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@PerryHall said:

The high relief program has always been $100

Thanks. You can tell I haven't been following this market. :D

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

I look at some of those and think maybe I can design some quarters on Photoshop, I'm thinking a series on pre-8th amendment American cruel and unusual punishments like tarring and feathering royalists, drowning witches, etc., maybe to show how far the royalist and witch communities have come or something

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where in the Dollar General Art School did they come up with some of these?

• Options

@messydesk said:

Some look like they were created with AI.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first four images in the original post yes, the rest, no. There is no accounting for taste, something prevalent throughout our society these days,

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

The students in the short bus.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd imagine some of these were generated by inputting the parameters into an AI program and that these are the unattributed collaborative works of AI "artists" with verbal prompts. I'd also imagine we will be seeing more and more candidates like this in the future.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Ouch...... :#

These are some of the worst designs ever. Especially the graffiti one. Is putting a felony on a coin really appropriate?

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    This crap just verifies my fears for the upcoming 2026 coins. The new mint “leadership” is going to do what it can to pervert the coinage. It’s disgusting and more than predictable. I can’t say anymore without getting political.

CCAC helps facilitate it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer george Jetson or even rosey 👍

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

The bison designs are great.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Some of the worst designs I’ve seen proposed ever. Laughably bad for some of them.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SilverEagle1974SilverEagle1974 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Why do they put shadows & tones on these drawings ?
    That NEVER translates over to the coin.
    This will be just dull-looking when produced into a coin.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

No thanks

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flowers?

Bees? Butterflies? Oak leaf.
    ..yeah Canada, take that!
    A torch that looks like a soft serve cone?
    Very cartoony.

Looks like the pages of a coloring book.

• Options

Most of those are terrible. Mine was a joke I put together in 5 minutes and it's better. The bison charging the fence is artistically OK, but would a bison attempt to do that? Also where did that nail in the board in the middle of the design come from? Would the fence shatter like that before it even cleared it?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one would like a HR peace dollar in platinum please

• Options
    edited April 18, 2024 4:38PM

I don’t think it is the designs Per se, I think it is the CAD that affixes a lower plane than traditional methods and uses force distribution principles for symmetry with die life in mind. Those priorities dilute even the best designs and I think it adds a flatness and lifelessness opposed to the chaos that human hands always impart. Just look at a gem BU 1956 Lincoln and then look at a 2009, same design but the new process took something away from it that almost all coins suffer from now.

• Options

There is a bison sans fence that's better than the one above, but they're wasting a high-relief design opportunity by not including some hilly prairie in the background.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I can’t get this thread off my mind. This junk needs to be curtailed and eradicated right now, before the cancer spreads. I agree that we don’t need all coinage to be purely Greco-Roman inspired. But, official U.S. coinage and/or bullion that looks like something out of anime, looney tunes, the side of an NYC subway car, or the deluded mind of a 12 year old bong hitter doesn’t work.

I think what's worst is the fact that a committee wasn't sufficiently embarrassed by designs so singularly awful -- "artistically of atrocious hideousness," to quote Teddy Roosevelt -- and decided to present them to the public. My "berserk anime Liberty" took only the motivation of mockery and a few minutes of generative AI trial and error (and would actually look pretty cool on a thick, 2 oz. silver round with antiqued finish). I wouldn't have even thought of doing this had there been artistic merit to the proposed designs. I suppose it's a strange twist of irony that the dreck presented was inspirational.

• Options
    SilverEagle1974SilverEagle1974 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Most of these look like they belong in a comic book, rather than on coins.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

animal breaking free was done already with the bronco

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like this one. Agreed, it needs to have some shading removed to be more representative of a coin, but it is a nice design for a high relief because the center of the flower would be raised, and a slight 3D effect with the leaves would be nice. The spiraling pattern is interesting in how it varies in the center.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I actually like this one. Agreed, it needs to have some shading removed to be more representative of a coin, but it is a nice design for a high relief because the center of the flower would be raised, and a slight 3D effect with the leaves would be nice. The spiraling pattern is interesting in how it varies in the center.

It would also look good in gold. The sunflower theme might be seen as a nod to Ukraine, for better or for worse, so there's potential for unwanted controversy here, unfortunately.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Crypto said:
    I don’t think it is the designs Per se, I think it is the CAD that affixes a lower plane than traditional methods and uses force distribution principles for symmetry with die life in mind. Those priorities dilute even the best designs and I think it adds a flatness and lifelessness opposed to the chaos that human hands always impart. Just look at a gem BU 1956 Lincoln and then look at a 2009, same design but the new process took something away from it that almost all coins suffer from now.

None of the designs shown in this thread (so far) were created using CAD (Computer Aided Design). All are illustrations done by hand.

The designs are submitted by (and only accepted from) US Mint staff and the people in the US Mint's AIP ("Artistic Infusion Program"). I was in the original (secret) pilot program for the AIP in 1999. I have applied many times over the years to be in the official AIP, but I have never been chosen for it.

I have suggested that the US Mint stop reviewing potential designs in 2D drawing form, and instead require design submissions to be in physical 3D sculptural form. They tried that with the WW1 commemorative coins of 2018, but that was the only instance in modern times that they did that. That WW1 design competition was one of the few that was open to the general public and not just the AIP. I participated in it, but I did not like the parameters for the 3D submission. All artists were provided with a plastic disk to carve their design into. But the disk was too small in diameter (only about 5 inches); It was too thin (about 3/8 inch); and the plastic was clear which made viewing the design difficult. It was almost as if they wanted it all to fail so that they could go back to pencil drawings with shading that can not be applied to the physical coins.

PS:
    I actually used my sculpt to mint some of the WW1 coins at actual size (1.5-inch diameter) in silver and included them with my design submission to the US Mint. I suppose these could be considered as semi-official patterns. I do not have a photo of one. But here is the rendering (which was also required in the submission):

I agree, my points were in general about modern mint products not about those designs as the conversation had drifted that way. But I think we agree completely that to get back to a better product the mint should put a great emphasis on the artists and the final product and put less value on their process and manufacturing optimization (at all costs).

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 9:38AM

@Crypto said:
    I agree, my points were in general about modern mint products not about those designs as the conversation had drifted that way. But I think we agree completely that to get back to a better product the mint should put a great emphasis on the artists and the final product and put less value on their process and manufacturing optimization (at all costs).

Agreed, ESPECIALLY for collector coins. Maybe manufacturing is a concern for circulation coins, which makes sense but collector coins are made in very small numbers compared to that.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I like the first image in this post a lot. The Bison with the hills in the background would be my second choice but does remind me of the bronco.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol Lol Lol.... NO NO NO!!! All I will say other than that buffalo one looks like " I'm getting OUT of this country!!" lol.....

oh, and the " ice cream anyone??"

----- kj
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

These can't be real, can they? Was looking to see if this was posted on April first, but it wasn't.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    These can't be real, can they? Was looking to see if this was posted on April first, but it wasn't.

Sadly only mine's fake.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@87redcivic said:
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad there are some "out there" designs on the list. Successful art will trigger an emotion for the viewer or make someone look at a subject differently. Not all of our coinage needs to be designed as pseudo-roman-ivory-tower. I appeciate CCAC willing to give an opportunity to designs that take a risk.

I don't have a problem with that, but it shouldn't be on gold. Instead of giving the secretary treasury broad authority to mint gold coins, I'd rather give the treasure secretary broad authority to mint large cents that are pure copper and there they can variate the designs as much as they'd like. I think large cents are a popular enough denomination, that like silver dollars, should exist in the modern numismatic coinage lineup

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like that weird modern corporate style.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first reverse is missing something... I just can't put my finger on what it is!

There's plenty of awful stuff there. Now I know why I have stayed away from mint products for several dcades.

Mark

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I just don’t see the point if those are the choices. Maybe one will grow on me but hmm we will see. I won’t say no as of yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file