Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So a guy at works asked me a question about collecting

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just talking about the hobby in general.
Then he asked me "what do you do with them just look at them"?
I said it's just for fun, everyone needs a hobby.
It got me thinking about why I do collect. First off I love the chase. Having a new coin coming in the mail is always a good thing.
And yes I do enjoy looking at them from time to time. I also love this forum.
So I posted this to ask what are your thoughts on why we collect?

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭

I like the history behind them. With the circulated stuff, especially, I like to think about who used it and what did it buy them when it was circulating.

imageimage

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 11:26AM

This kind of makes me think of the old HD motto:

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. But, for those who don't, no explanation would suffice."

As I've stated many times before, I do it for:

-History
    -Artistic beauty
    -Rarity
    -Completion
    -Value

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started with coin collecting as a source of history that had a visual appeal. Coins are works of art, after all. But as I kept up with my acquisitions, I realized how much the thrill of the hunt meant to me. I realized along the way I wanted to know more. So I read, looked at a lot of coins & admired the accomplishments of other collectors. It’s been many years, but the hobby still excites (& drives) me every day.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started as a merit badge and 50+ years later a life long passion. The quest ... the search ... the anticipation ... the satisfaction ...the history ... the "plastic" ... the "stickers" ... the unknown revealed ...I could go on and on.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 12:55PM

Because that is just who I am a collector it is wired in my DNA since I was very young. It is a huge part of my life. I was always attracted to the history of pirates (Latin America) and outlaws/cowboys (USA). So I spend lots of time studying those 2 eras and collect within them. I love collecting and always will.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting in 1958 after an uncle gave me an 1884 O Morgan for my birthday. Right off at 10 years old I couldn't collect Morgans, so I chose cents. That is why I started, but not why I continued. After collecting from change for 10 years and after I served in the Air Force, I started purchasing coins. I thought that early copper coins are still available after 200 in readable condition, someone had to have saved them for many, many years. Then it occurred to me that silver was available in readable condition after 200 years also. Both metals do not hold up well to circulation for many years, so again they must have been saved and not continuously circulated. So I thought why not continue saving them. Just imagine that because of our hobby, millions of our earliest U.S. coins will have survived only because of our endeavor. I thought that to be cool at the time. Just think that at the end of this century some of our coins will be 300 years old and available for people to look at.
    I never liked collecting the modern clad coinage, because it doesn't wear without assistance. I have had many modern coins that looked almost new even at 60 years old, so they do not need our help, especially with billions being produced.
    Our early coinage was beautifully designed and our post Walker coinage does not even remotely compare. Actually, IMO!, a
    beginning wood carver could produce the modern issues.
    So I collect coins for their beauty and to help preserve these pieces of our numismatic history. While I do sell coins, more or less to be able to buy others to keep, the ones I keep are because I love them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Because that is just who I am a collector it is wired in my DNA since I was very young. It is a huge part of my life.

True. I might add that it has given me YEARS of enjoyment and a lot of good friends. It has been such an escape for me and a rock of security and refuge. It has enhanced my life.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never forget one mans dreams are another mans dust to each their own. Some understand and some will never just a fact of life.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bragging rights of course :D

• Options

It's a struggle-- can't seem to get the ladies off me

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 2:18PM

@Chattermonkey said:
    It's a struggle-- can't seem to get the ladies off me

Just make sure that you have them sign a Prenup!! :D

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@Morgan13 said:
    It got me thinking about why I do collect. First off I love the chase. Having a new coin coming in the mail is always a good thing.

Try explaining that again your your better half.

I'm still in the dog house after my last purchase and now spend my time on this forum and reading about coins instead.

You gotta show her who's the boss!! LOL :D>:)

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@DisneyFan said:

@Morgan13 said:

Try explaining that again your your better half.

I'm still in the dog house after my last purchase and now spend my time on this forum and reading about coins instead.

You gotta show her who's the boss!! LOL :D>:)

Well, you know the answer to that.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I got my 1972 Redbook, it was all over.....I had to see those coins in person!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was handed an empty 1941 - Lincoln Whitman folder as a kid, I was hooked and possessed to fill it and complete it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Collecting coins is a great mixture of History, Art, and Economics. Yes. I love looking at coins as much as I would look at a relief sculpture. But, there are also the stories and history that are associated with various coins. The earliest US coins show some of the struggle of a budding democracy and newly formed economic system.

Honestly, the monetary aspect of coins comes secondary to me. I am fascinated by holding the history... and not what will this XXX be worth tomorrow. That said, the value or coins in the market is not lost on me.

I could not have said it better.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

The history for me. The coins that I own which get looked at the most are not my most valuable or the highest grade, but the old and honestly worn coins from generations long since passed. To think of what hands they passed through and what they witnessed is fascinating to me.

• Options

I'm pretty much stuck on Morgan's. I'm trying to broaden my horizons to Jefferson nickels but I don't feel the passion. I do want a decent 3 cent piece.
    See this is what people who don't collect coins will never understand our thinking.
    If I showed a non-collector a 3 cent piece I might as well show them a button.

• Options

@Morgan13 said:

If I showed a non-collector a 3 cent piece I might as well show them a button.

But, then you could tell them how it was used to buy a 3 cent stamp which would really confuse them.

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Collecting takes me back to the mid-60s when I was 10-ish and my grandfather, who gave me my first blue Whitman Lincoln folders, was still with me. I think those folders still sport the 39-cent price sticker. So for me, there is a huge nostalgia factor that comes from collecting U.S. coins.

Over the years, I have also come to love the history of U.S. coinage and the excitement that ensues when a long-time hunt suddenly comes to fruition.

Whit

Whit
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2024 6:22PM

Aesthete = one having or affecting sensitivity to the beautiful especially in art.

Many coin designs are beautiful pieces of art. Those designs combined with attractive surface attributes result in objects that draw the eye and evoke strong emotion by someone who has a collector orientation. The history behind the coinage is icing on the cake.

I am a passionate coin collector. My hobby brings me joy and thus it enhances my life.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

For me personally….
    1) I collect cents and transitional patterns of small cents. There is a lot of HISTORY to collect. Design, size, metal composition all changed for specific reasons. Congress had to approve many of these changes and that gives me stories to tell friends who inquire. Elected officials probably held a few of my coins. My profile pic is of my 1863 w/L proof. Who can say they have ever owned one, nevertheless held one or seen one (or even know them to exist!). There were tons of changes in the late 1850s and the 1860s that intrigue me.
    2) I consider coins to be limited editions of artwork. I have even ventured into actual artwork, with Victor Brennen’s bronze Lincoln portraits. These were made in 1907 and used as the design for the Lincoln cent. The 1907 high relief $20 is a true example of artwork.
    3) go back to #1.
    4) there is something satisfying about completing a set of something. You can show an entire run of American numismatics in an album if you choose. Pretty cool! I started with an old Whitman of Indians that was partially completed by my great grandfather. Had the “bug” ever since. I completed that set then became a serious collector.

At the end of the day, I guess it’s cool to look at them all in one place and wonder how many people have been able to put together the same set of coins. Those who don’t get it now, probably never will.

• Options

@redraider said:

At the end of the day, I guess it’s cool to look at them all in one place and wonder how many people have been able to put together the same set of coins. Those who don’t get it now, probably never will.

Well said!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

History, artistry, bureaucracy. Studying coins is like living in a time machine for me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Catbert said:
    Aesthete = one having or affecting sensitivity to the beautiful especially in art.

Many coin designs are beautiful pieces of art. Those designs combined with attractive surface attributes result in objects that draw the eye and evoke strong emotion by someone who has a collector orientation. The history behind the coinage is icing on the cake.

I am a passionate coin collector. My hobby brings me joy and thus it enhances my life.

Absolutely perfect response. That's what I was thinking but I did not know how to say it.
    Thank you

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting is for the enjoyment, whatever you or I collect. I may not appreciate or understand collecting something else, and someone else may not understand why I collect what I do. Life is full of variety, no deep philosophical discussion required. If you enjoy it, if it is legal, that is what matters in the end. And yes, joy and life enhancement are a pair of quality bonuses.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like other hobbies I've had, coin collecting makes me feel connected...
    Connected to history, connected to my children and relatives and ancestors, connected to human creativity and productiveness, connected to art and beauty and aesthetics, connected to my brain and my awareness and my empathy, connected to knowledge, connected to this planet and star stuff and the Universe...
    It helps to validate my life.
    No, I'm not exaggerating.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last thing you never talk about with your co-workers, friends, relatives, neighbors is that you collect coins. Unless, of course, you don't mind getting robbed, putting your family if you have any, at risk of injury or death because you talk too much, have lose lips.

Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    The last thing you never talk about with your co-workers, friends, relatives, neighbors is that you collect coins. Unless, of course, you don't mind getting robbed, putting your family if you have any, at risk of injury or death because you talk too much, have lose lips.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

This

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect coins because they are beautiful art and history you can hold in your hand. That just about sums it up.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect as a form of therapy for my OCD/ADHD. Anything else I could say just sounds like desperate rationalization.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    So I posted this to ask what are your thoughts on why we collect?

I have had some interesting discussions with non-collectors. Some people simply "don't get it", in terms of what motivates collectors. One old friend of the family simply couldn't get past the idea that coins were valuable - to him, it was all about buy-low-sell-high and "how much money would I get if I sold this right now" and the only possible reason to keep a coin rather than sell it was if the answer to that question was "not much, yet". I tried to explain to him that that was more of an investor mindset, rather than a collector mindset, but he simply couldn't see the difference, or that anybody would collect coins for any other reason.

It's not a new problem. Back in the 1300s the "father of coin collecting" and progenitor of the Renaissance, Petrarch, advocated that princes ought to take up ancient coin collecting because not only were coins beautiful miniature works of ancient art but they taught lessons from history. Petrarch gave a collection of ancient Roman coins as a gift to Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV - and was bitterly disappointed that all the Emperor cared about was how much they were worth.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file