Home Sports Talk
Options

All things Boston Red Sox looking good

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2024 7:06AM in Sports Talk

he takes out our player that is not making errors and is leading the majors in home runs.
He is getting way overpaid in my opinion.
Sox management absolutely sucks.

Comments

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 478 ✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    he takes out our player that is not making errors and is leading the majors in home runs.

It seems some players get fat and lazy after big contracts ( Pablo Sandoval )

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

A little harsh on Devers, he didn't collide with O'Neil with the intent to "take him out". O'Neil, BTW is tied in the hr department, not leading. I do agree that he's way overpaid, as many, many are. I have always felt that huge salaries, when paid and guaranteed on the front end, eliminate the urge to excel. Sox management have always been a bit sketchy and I think the Red Sox team is just a cash cow for JH.

Take a deep breath. If you can, take a drive and enjoy the view, lots to see out there.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Are you suggesting the Devers has gotten "fat and lazy" after getting his contract?

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 3:43PM

YES ! He should be at DH not at 3rd base.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Sandovals weight was an issue long before that contract. The Giants tried to block him from room service in the hotels they were so worried about it

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think they felt like they had to overpay for devers after losing mookie and bogey

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    i think they felt like they had to overpay for devers after losing mookie and bogey

Correct !

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 5:34AM

Bogey was like a big brother to him and helped him correct his flaws as they went along.
    I don't know if he can improve his fielding or not.
    Now he left the game last night with some sort of injury and Dalbec put in his place.
    He has not had a hit this year but he can field the position.
    The pitching is green and not holding up and have finally hit last place .
    Jansen is not able to hold his own as a closer either.
    Whitlock left last nights game also with some sort of injury

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 9:01AM

Actually...

Devers was taken out because he complained about having a sore knee. So, first its a sore shoulder, now its a sore knee. I'm beginning to wonder which team he's playing for.

Dalbec is lost no matter where he plays. You can't tell me there isn't one 3rd baseman in the Red Sox farm team from single A to triple A that, if given a shot, couldn't play better than Dalbec...he needs to visit single A and get an "adjustment", or DFA him. These are his stats average 0.0; hr 0; RBI 0; OPS .000; SO 12
    For this he's getting paid $740k for the 2024 season. Imagine the ROR for this clown?

Whitlock complained of "left oblique tightness". So, neither Devers or Whitlock had injuries, maybe they just wanted to drink beer and eat fried chicken in the clubhouse. Deja vu.

What on earth was Casas thinking about trying to steal 3rd??? What a BONEHEADED play!

Oh, BTW, is Masa gonna contribute at all? He's being paid a TON of money. Another Red Sox failure in the making.

The team is in disarray, it may not be all Cora's fault, but he's driving the bus. He always looks to me like he's yearning for his future days in Puerto Rico, and just going through the motions.

Tough times for the Red Sox. I stand by my prediction of much earlier...they ain't goin' anywhere.

BTW, they are now in LAST PLACE They may not win 80 games this year.

• Options

I have reached the point where I agree with you!
    Masa needs a change of teams along with Devers as they are both worthless if you can find anyone who wants them!
    By the way you don't give players long term deals until they have proven themselves and none of the 4 players that now have them have done that.
    I will continue to watch them BUT will also be watching teams that want to WIN as I love baseball.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@pdoidoi said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Are you suggesting the Devers has gotten "fat and lazy" after getting his contract?

No, that is not what I said. The Red Sox have had some really bad contracts and some players just take advantage of them. I was using Panda as an example as some have gotten fat and just seem like they don't care as they did before they got paid.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@pdoidoi said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

No, that is not what I said. The Red Sox have had some really bad contracts and some players just take advantage of them. I was using Panda as an example as some have gotten fat and just seem like they don't care as they did before they got paid.

Panda was fat when they signed him.

No one got fat or lazy they were just either at the end of their careers or had injury problems. Speed guys like Crawford have quick declines once they hit 30, Sale just had injuries

The worst contract by far is Rusney Castillo who got paid over 70 million to be a minor league player. Thats the one thats a true scouting issue

• Options

Well, Tanner Houck sure pitched a great game last night. One hour and 49 minutes for a complete game shutout. I hope that fires the team up! He didn't need any help from Jansen, thank God, as he is over the hill this year so far.

• Options

Tanner did indeed pitch a gem, congrats to him.

As we peel back the onion...Masa not in the lineup, I thought he was Mr Big Bat?? Repeat...could be another sterling Red Sox contract simmering on the back burner. Did I miss something?

Dalbec must be close to some record batting 0 for forever. Not to lose hope in Dalbec, the ever salient analysis by the word-salad manager said the following... Manager Alex Cora said Dalbec has been pressing at the plate.

“Not finishing at-bats, to be honest with you. He has been more aggressive the past two days with pitches in the zone. He’s just missing his pitches. There’s a lot of foul balls on pitches he usually handles. He’s playing today. I do believe Bobby can impact a big league lineup with his bat. We saw it in the past. I think, also, at one point, (he) needs to breath. It’s part of it.”
    Hey DOOFUS...WE ALL NEED TO BREATH!!

How does any major league player, have a 0.00 average and still be in the lineup? I would have DFA'd him long ago. What exactly does it mean to "been pressing at the plate ", not finishing at-bats?" Please Alex, try not to be so "honest with us", try telling the truth, the guy sucks at the plate, you know it and we know it. Send him to Pawtucket.

Well, you can say the Red Sox are either tide for 3rd place in the AL East, OR, tied for last place...take your pick.

• Options

I am the forever optimist so will vote for tied for 3rd place ONLY 3 games out of first!
    I too think Dalbec needs to be forgotten and DFA material, trade Masa and make Devers the DH.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Dalbec must be close to some record batting 0 for forever. Not to lose hope in Dalbec, the ever salient analysis by the word-salad manager said the following... Manager Alex Cora said Dalbec has been pressing at the plate.

Hes got a long way to go. Chris Davis (the Os one) went 54 at bats with out a hit which ironically he snapped the streak against the Red Sox. Multiple guys have been in the 0-40s club. He needs to at least get into the 30s to be close

• Options

26 unearned runs in their first 20 games
    lost 7 out of 10 last games

All that =last place.

BTW, picking up Gutierrez will have little to no impact on the Red Sox going forward.

• Options

Bello pitched a gem tonight and Booser finished the game without all the drama of Jensen.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Bello pitched a gem tonight and Booser finished the game without all the drama of Jensen.

Bosser had a 8-0 lead in the 9th when he came in thats hard to create drama. He gave up a run as well. No reason to take shots at Jensen who has been good

• Options

I think Houck pitched a "gem", by completing a game, and said so.

I do not think Bello's performance, while admirable, he only pitched 6 innings, not a complete game, and therefore, IMO, not a "gem". If Cora (the cheater) kept Houck in for 9, why not Bello, who had a 6 run lead when taken out?

Odd I thought at the fawning by both the announcers (O'Brien/Youkilis) over Dalbec finally getting a hit. Isn't that what he's paid an outrageous salary to do? His BA is now a whopping .045, with a .216 OPS. If my math is correct, he's being paid approx $1,500+ per HOUR (assumes $740,000/162/3hrs game) to perform. He ain't performin!! DFA time.

On a happier note...the Eck comes back for a visit. Maybe he'd come a little further East and take over from Youkilis!!
    https://sports.yahoo.com/thanks-having-worcester-red-sox-023647692.html

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I think Houck pitched a "gem", by completing a game, and said so.

I do not think Bello's performance, while admirable, he only pitched 6 innings, not a complete game, and therefore, IMO, not a "gem". If Cora (the cheater) kept Houck in for 9, why not Bello, who had a 6 run lead when taken out?

Houck completed the game with 94 pitches. He was less than 90 pitches going into the 9th of a 2-0 game that he was dominating. Bello was at 96 pitches of a 6-0 game was he was taken out. It wouldnt have made any sense to send Bello back out

• Options

Actually, I caught the 96 pitch stat after I posted. I agreed, it would make no sense to send him back out. Tks for the correction.

Looks like a good win for the Red Sox, now late in the 8th I think. Masa finally finds his bat and adds 2 runs to the total.

• Options

Dalbec keeps his spot on the roster as there is no one else on the 40 man roster left to call up with Casas going down today with rib injury

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Actually, I caught the 96 pitch stat after I posted. I agreed, it would make no sense to send him back out. Tks for the correction.

Looks like a good win for the Red Sox, now late in the 8th I think. Masa finally finds his bat and adds 2 runs to the total.

For them I'm interested to see what they do the next three weeks with Cleveland, Giants, Twins and Braves and then spend most of May with division games. I'm not really impressed with the Pirates roster but if the Red Sox get through May with a good or decent record that would be huge

Fun fact for the Houck shutout, that was the first sub 100 pitch one in a decade for them and the last time a game took less than two hours doing it was Maddux in the mid 1990s

• Options

I would add the Cubs to your list...they come to Fenway next Thursday. Cubs are in 2nd place and playing very well.

The Red Sox need to find a way to string together some wins. This win one, lose one, win one will easily find them in the lower end of the pack. The AL East is, IMO, the toughest Division in MLB. I just don't see this team gelling into anything but a chaser and never catching the bus. Too many injuries that preclude the team from becoming a cohesive unit. Plugging people here and there, which is the only option Cora has at this point has to be done, but won't help long term.

• Options

There has to be something wrong with the sox training program with so many medical problems with the players.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    There has to be something wrong with the sox training program with so many medical problems with the players.

Well, this is where the team is at...might not be 100% correct, but latest data I could find. I left off Devers, so I guess they're medicating his shoulder and knee and no IL needed...YET

Isaiha Campbell IL-15
    Lucas Giolito IL-60
    Liam Hendriks IL-60
    Bryan Mata IL-15
    Chris Murphy IL-60
    Nick Pivetta IL-15
    Garrett Whitlock IL-15
    Triston Casas IL-10
    Romy Gonzalez IL-10
    Vaughan Grissom IL-10
    Trevor Story IL-60 gone for season
    Tyler O'Neil IL-7

For grins I checked Monster Seat front row tickets for the Yankees home game...more than $1k
    "Normal" games will get you there for a paltry $350++

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I would add the Cubs to your list...they come to Fenway next Thursday. Cubs are in 2nd place and playing very well.

The Red Sox need to find a way to string together some wins. This win one, lose one, win one will easily find them in the lower end of the pack. The AL East is, IMO, the toughest Division in MLB. I just don't see this team gelling into anything but a chaser and never catching the bus. Too many injuries that preclude the team from becoming a cohesive unit. Plugging people here and there, which is the only option Cora has at this point has to be done, but won't help long term.

Cubs certainly belong on that as well.

I think the two series with the Rays will tell a lot. I think Baltimore wins the division but I also think the Yankees will fade. They have pitching issues too and Stanton and Judge gets hurt almost every year. I cant figure out yet what to think of the Blue Jays. They have some studs but also lost some big pitching that struggled with the implementation of the pitch clock and the guy playing third cant hit for a full season.

I completely agree I dont see Boston as a front runner. Seeing the other teams to this point I could see them fighting for middle of the pack in the division which is better than I would have said before the season started. Other than maybe Baltimore (which seems weird to say) the other teams in the division all have a big issue in at least one aspect

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Baltimore has starting pitching and bullpen issues as well. Other than Burnes and Rodriguez it’s been pretty bad for the starting rotation. A little too early to see how the lineup is going to settle in but pitching looks dicey.

• Options

They are not a front runner at this point but are at least a fun team to watch and "IF" they pick up some help at the trade deadline could make a run at Baltimore. I don't see the Yankees staying where they are right now.

• Options

As I looked ahead at the Red Sox schedule, I was kinda surprised to see the five events they have scheduled there during the All Star break. July 18,19,20,21 and 23. Then the Yankees come in on the 26th, giving the ground crew a mere 2.5 days to rehab the outfield. Maybe they just replace the sod, dunno. The staging appears to be from 3rd base, across 2nd and then to 1st. We're talkin' seating, like heavy stuff on the grounds. If you go to the Red Sox schedule, and pick one of the event days as if you we're buying tickets, you can see the layout.

• Options

Sounds like a big mess to me.

Replacing grass will not be very stable in 2 days.
    As per usual Fenway is not thinking about the Red Sox,only how fat they can make their wallets, or maybe they will use that money to buy some players.
    What do you guys think?

• Options

Baltimore takes over 1st place as Yankees lose to Oakland and Sox are 2 games out now!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    As I looked ahead at the Red Sox schedule, I was kinda surprised to see the five events they have scheduled there during the All Star break. July 18,19,20,21 and 23. Then the Yankees come in on the 26th, giving the ground crew a mere 2.5 days to rehab the outfield. Maybe they just replace the sod, dunno. The staging appears to be from 3rd base, across 2nd and then to 1st. We're talkin' seating, like heavy stuff on the grounds. If you go to the Red Sox schedule, and pick one of the event days as if you we're buying tickets, you can see the layout.

For the international series some of the soccer stadiums have built a platform a couple inches above the ground to keep the MLB players off the soccer playing surface. They do that for other events as well. I have no idea if Boston has any interest in doing that. The pro teams can get grass in surprisingly fast if they want too. They might also just do very little or nothing though like when the Raiders and Chargers were sharing stadiums with the As and Padres.

• Options

A day without Red Sox baseball Is like day without sunshine even thou I did watch the Yankees lose to Oakland yesterday.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

GO SOX!!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    GO SOX!!!!

Cross your fingers.

• Options

Go Sox Go , sounds like a knew book by DR. Seuss.
    That would be when DR Seuss combines FOX IN SOCKS and GO DOG GO.

• Options

Bello is now on the IL with lat tightness. Will it ever end?

• Options

Abreu and Wong are really stepping it up at the plate for the Sox, Rafaela is a very good shortstop and Dalbach is a great defensive 1st baseman if he could only start hitting again. The pitching is also stepping it up. Ok guys and gals what am I saying wrong but I like their chances?

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Abreu and Wong are really stepping it up at the plate for the Sox, Rafaela is a very good shortstop and Dalbach is a great defensive 1st baseman if he could only start hitting again. The pitching is also stepping it up. Ok guys and gals what am I saying wrong but I like their chances?

You're like the guy that looks at his 401k every morning...up, down, up, down. They will be lucky to end the season at .500, that's 81 games. Not saying they can't do it, but I am saying they are not a competitive team and will not be in the post season hooplah. This is just my opinion, of which I am well aware you don't agree with.
    Enjoy the season as it comes, remember, it's only baseball.

Irrational Exuberance

• Options

It is only baseball and I am enjoying the season. I am watching the Yankee Oakland game right now and the score is Oakland 3 Yankees 1.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

You're like the guy that looks at his 401k every morning...up, down, up, down. They will be lucky to end the season at .500, that's 81 games. Not saying they can't do it, but I am saying they are not a competitive team and will not be in the post season hooplah. This is just my opinion, of which I am well aware you don't agree with.
    Enjoy the season as it comes, remember, it's only baseball.

Irrational Exuberance

I enjoy what tommy has to say about the Red Sox and look forward to reading his posts in the future. You may be very right, but we Sox fans hope and wish for the best. Remember we did it for many many years before 2004. GO SOX

• Options

When I was a kid I would sit by the radio and listen to a voice reading a teletype report of ball and strike reports of how the game was going. Thats how far back I go listening to Red Sox games. Now, long retired, I get to watch all the games for almost free and I am enjoying the hell out of it. My father would have loved to have had that opportunity but he died before all the games were on tv.

• Options

Enjoy the season BUT NOT TOO MUCH! You’re enjoying the season too much! Stop it! ;)

• Options

Yankees just lost 3-1, so Now its time to get a little sleep and get ready for tomorrows games.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

I enjoy what tommy has to say about the Red Sox and look forward to reading his posts in the future. You may be very right, but we Sox fans hope and wish for the best. Remember we did it for many many years before 2004. GO SOX

You have not a remote clue who I am. I have been a Red Sox fan for perhaps much longer than you've been on this planet.
    Here's a little clue...I've seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway Park.

I don't need you to remind me of anything.

• Options

I can even remember Braves field with Spawn, Sain and pray for rain being the slogan my father used to say before the Braves left town for Milwaukee. Then he and I switched to the sox and saw many games at Fenway in bleacher seats because that's all he could afford. I too saw some of the greats play but have not been to a major league game in person since I moved to Albuquerque in 1990.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@pdoidoi said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

You have not a remote clue who I am. I have been a Red Sox fan for perhaps much longer than you've been on this planet.
    Here's a little clue...I've seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway Park.

I don't need you to remind me of anything.

It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life.

• Options

@bgr said:

It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life.

Well, tks for the observation. Actually, I'm very happily retired and live a pretty stress free life.
    Perhaps I'll just tone it down a bit and let the Red Sox performace going forward speak for itself.