Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS Service - Multiple "Arrival" Scans at Same Hub - PM Delivery Update

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2024 1:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone else noticed a degradation of USPS service over the past month? A couple of examples from my inbound and outbound experience - four days for a ground shipment from Irvine to the Bay Area and one week (and counting) for a Priority Mail package shipped from California to Iowa.

In particular, I have noticed a new phenomena of multiple arrival scans at the same depot multiple days apart:

Do USPS employees get paid by the scan? Can anyone help me understand how this can happen on multiple occassions?

Tim

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 1:41PM

Have had it happen a few times and the package arrived safely. Just so you know they have it but has not moved. Overkill sure but at least they have it and want you to know they do.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that a lot too.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

As a post-script note, I visited the post office this morning and spoke to the same employee almost a week to the minute since I dropped off the Priority Mail parcel with him. I asked him to check on the shipment. He went into the back room and came back a few minutes later to tell me there were no issues with the package, now seven days later.

I went home and filed a "where's my package" form on USPS.com. Within an hour or so, there was another arrival scan at the same regional hub. Coincidence?

Tim

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had that happen with a package a while ago. It was like that for a couple days and eventually found its way out of the loop and arrived a day later.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 6:46PM

With tracking you get to see how the sausage is made. It's not always pretty but it almost always works out.

I had a Ground Advantage package take only 4 days to go across country. There were no tracking updates between the mail hubs on both ends (it was presumably on a truck the whole time) but it got there.

I did also have a package take 10 days to go to a destination 75 miles away. 😡

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen that before also.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are often different "facilities" within a plant. So it comes off the truck and gets scanned and loaded into a tote. Then the tote is wheeled to a sorting station which decides which tote to put it in for the next stop. Another scan, but they both might be very similarly named.

If it gets mis-sorted, that may get picked up and cause the item to go back through the sorting process. More scans.

I believe each scan has an actual machine number attached, so USPS can trace the flow at a lower level of detail.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of my local distro centers scans stuff as departed, but from what i know happens when it really departs is that it is at my po within hours. when it takes a day longer i figure it a scan out so they can make numbers look good. don't just complain about my complaining... also add in the po person at another local po who ha some unflattering words to another customer about the same center.

they scan it twice? i'm with the person who says that you know they have it. it's not heartening that they bumble around with scans, but it's not stolen registered mail. we can both be happy about that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 2:17AM

Yes. I had a Two day Priority Mail that took SIX DAYS. This USPS "Ground" service sucks too...it took like 10+ days to get TWO separate packages to me.....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, I'm getting duplicate point of contact notification alerts. Obviously a software issue. Although, items are arriving in a timely manner.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama to Georgia via Portland Oregon...... B)

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's a mis-route that wasn't caught until the truck hit Portland.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@TorinoCobra71 said:
    Yes. I had a Two day Priority Mail that took SIX DAYS. This USPS "Ground" service sucks too...it took like 10+ days to get TWO separate packages to me.....

If, and that’s a big if, my PM shipment gets delivered on Monday, it will have been in transit for nine days.

And there’s no refund recourse with Proirity Mail.

Tim

• Options

Just to close the loop on the Priority Mail shipment referenced above, it was delivered this morning. A mere nine days since tendering to my local post office. The shipping carton was worse for the wear but the contents arrived undamaged:

I packed in a box inside the USPS carton or the outcome may have been different.

Tim

• Options

Because any part of the federal government has ever been known to be efficient......

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had only one package, an $8 purchase, get lost in the last five years and in that time I've ordered many hundreds of items. I've also never had any contents damaged even the packing was less than stellar. The package arrives, I enjoy what I received and life goes on. While I check tracking, I do not find it something to dwell on and dissect ad nauseum.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten those thru the years. I quit trying to figure out what the government is doing, fwiw

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an eBay purchase delivery saga going on right now. Ist class package is mailed from California, arrives in Florida in four days - not bad. Then it sits immobile in the Sarasota processing center for two days. The damn place is less than 10 miles from where I live!

Yesterday they sent it to Tampa, which for those of you in the know about Florida geography, is in the opposite direction. Last update was as of yesterday evening. Tampa is listed as the 'destination facility' which it is most decidedly not.

Methinks they've taken their cost-cutting measures a bit too far. Rant over.

• Options

@GotTheBug said:
    I have an eBay purchase delivery saga going on right now. Ist class package is mailed from California, arrives in Florida in four days - not bad. Then it sits immobile in the Sarasota processing center for two days. The damn place is less than 10 miles from where I live!

Yesterday they sent it to Tampa, which for those of you in the know about Florida geography, is in the opposite direction. Last update was as of yesterday evening. Tampa is listed as the 'destination facility' which it is most decidedly not.

Methinks they've taken their cost-cutting measures a bit too far. Rant over.

I'm not sure what the recent issue is with Post Office. We are waiting for a wedding invitation which was mailed on March 26th from Kansas to California. A check I mailed from the Bay Area to another location in the same Bay Area (Hercules to San Mateo) was not delivered after four days after last checking.

I was hoping someone with knowledge of postal operations would weigh in.

Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file